Look at me!

Not getting “look at” or “look in” to work.

[code]A mirror is a thing in Dressing Room.

Instead of examining the mirror: say “You look at yourself in the mirror and feel sad.”

Understand “look at/look in” as examining mirror.[/code]

Didn’t someone recently say that a setup like that would be parsed as Understand “look asdfadf in” as examining mirror because the slashes only take what’s right next to them? Have you tried Understand “look at” and “look in” as examining mirror?

That compiled, but it didn’t work.

Oh, that’s because I’m forgetful and neglected to take into account that it’s about a specific object. The way I would do this is by having “look at” and “look in” understood as examining, period, and then writing a check rule for “if the noun is the mirror” in order to display the specific message. I’m not sure whether it’s possible to say “Understand ‘look at mirror’ as examining the mirror”, but I guess you could try.

Nope, that didn’t work, either.

[code]The mirror is in the Dressing Room.

instead of examining the mirror:
try searching the mirror.

instead of searching the mirror:
say “Your reflection.”[/code]

Sorry, Jim, but I don’t see how that helps me with the commands “look in mirror” or “look at mirror.”

Inform already recognizes the phrase “look at [something]” as examining, and “look in [something]” as searching (which is a different action than examining).

You are right, busterwrites. Case closed.

Also, I wrote the code that I suggested to you and ran it. It worked. Exactly what do you mean when you say it “didn’t work”?

In Bathroom is the mirror. Check examining: if the noun is the mirror: say "You're sad." instead. Understand "look at" and "look in" as examining.