Lava Ghost's IF Comp Reviews

My plan is to play the games in reverse alphabetical order, skipping Twines (I’ll play other choice games.)

Don’t feel obligated, but please consider checking out my entry (“Cygnet Committee”) if you have time.

Even though it was made in Twine, there is a pretty heavy custom Javascript system built on top of it. It has a world model that responds to you in a unique way — it isn’t just a ‘read to the end’ game, but it also does things you (probably) can’t do in a parser.

It’s also ‘appified’ rather than browser-based, and the audio/visual design is a big part of the game. It’s similar to Silicon and Cells in terms of presentation.

3 Likes

Grandma Bethlinda’s Remarkable Egg by Arthur DiBianca

Spoilery Review

Arthur DiBianca has become known for limited-verb parser games which involve mastery of a system. These games generally escalate such that a straightforward set of initial rules become used as the basis for fiendishly complex challeges near the end.

Grandma Bethlinda’s Remarkable Egg is a little different. It’s in the same tradition of ‘master the system’; it even has a sort of ‘complile your system understanding’ endgame to get to the “Hundred Percenter” achievement. However, there are a couple of big shifts.

One is a new approach to the verbset. In Remarkable Egg, all but a few commands are interpreted as instructions to the voice-controlled egg of the title. More verbs are revealed along the course of the game, and there are some commands which are never revealed but can be intuited. Some of these have obvious connections to revealed commands (because they fit the same set, like colors or zodiac signs) but others are not obvious at all; the example I found was RAMP. So instead of a clearly defined verbset, Remarkable Egg goes in the other direction and embraces radical uncertainty.

The other is a game structure. DiBianca’s games (that I’ve played) sometimes have a split structure in which there is a ‘good enough’ ending you can reach within, say, a two-hour deadline, but also hidden content which the player may explore if they wish to truly beat the game. Remarkable Egg is something like this, but all you really have to do to reach the ‘good enough’ ending is solve a couple of easy logic puzzles while waiting for the egg to repair itself sufficiently that the ACCOMPLISH THE STATED OBJECTIVE option comes online. (Technology, amirite?)

And as for the extra content, it consists effectively of a list of achievements: interesting things you can do by using the right combinations of Egg commands. There’s no particular objective beyond the handcuff thing: nothing obvious, and, I think, nothing that eventuates. The achievement list is just a list of ambiguous phrases, not a concrete list of ‘try and achieve these things’. Even ‘Hundred Percenter’ just unlocks a naff survey. In fact, I’d argue that Grandma Bethlinda’s Remarkable Egg, unlike most of DiBianca’s other work, isn’t really a game at all: it’s a toy. The joy is simply in discovering all the interesting things the toy can do. The system becomes a goal in its own right, without the need to ‘win’.

It’s very good. I don’t feel the need to elaborate much further, as this game already has tons of reviews. I just wanted to point out how wonderful it is that Arthur DiBianca never stops surprising.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
Grandma Bethlinda’s Remarkable Egg
The Song of the Mockingbird
How it was then and how it is now
The Last Doctor
Off-Season at the Dream Factory
Walking Into It
Sting
What Heart Heard Of, Ghost Guessed
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Silicon and Cells
Mermaids of Ganymede
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

5 Likes

The Golden Heist by George Lockett and Rob Thorman

Spoilery Review

The Golden Heist is a very solid Ink game about raiding the greedy bloated parasites who exploit the common man for wealth and then leave him to die when he’s no longer useful. By which I mean to say it’s about infiltrating the famously ‘a bit much’ Domus Aurea, constructed AD 64-68, and stealing from the Emperor Nero. (I’m not actually that commited to anti-capitalism, but the intro was too good to pass up. I see what they’re doing.)

The Golden Heist is a pretty good choice narrative. You get to choose one of three companions to take with you on your heist, which wil certainly add to the replay value and must have taken a lot of work. The twist that the Domus’s vault is pretty much empty because Nero poured all the Empire’s wealth into the Domus itself perfectly capitulates the theme. And the game’s refusal to embrace the more sensational and sexualized, but less plausible, accusations against Nero is well taken.

It seems pretty difficult to lose this game, but it has one real puzzle. I think the puzzle should have been reconsidered; it somewhat damages the tone and setting as well as rudely forcing the player into a different mode of play for one chapter. At one point a character who was established as a woman suddenly switched to being referred to as male; a confusing glitch.

One of the things I appreciated most about The Golden Heist was its approach to the historical setting. The Golden Heist is pitched as a comedy, and the humor feels crisp and modern. I especially liked the long sequence about how one would get past Cerberus. Yet for all that the setting is domesticized (my talking about the Domus Aurea in this review is an affectation I picked up from Wikipedia: in the game, it’s the Golden House), it’s always treated with integrity. There’s no cheeky anachronisms or references (a possible exception is Felix selling literal snake oil). It’s a comedy about humans acting like humans in first-century Rome.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Sting
The Golden Heist
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Silicon and Cells
Mermaids of Ganymede
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

2 Likes

I must play this game “The Golden QUEST”…

Where ever could I find it, except right above What Heart Heard Of, Ghost Guessed in your ranking list…

2 Likes

Good catch.

1 Like

Ghosts Within by Kyriakos Athanasopoulos

Spoilery review

Ghosts Within is a large, ambitious game in TADS 3. It makes effortless use of TADS’s power and versatility. I’m thankful for any new TADS game, and this one is large with multiple paths through it. However, I wan’t really feeling this one.

There’s not a strong hook in this game. Well, there are three hooks, but the one I found wasn’t strong. I’m amnesiac and my initial objective turned out to be ‘look over the entire game world trying to find a light so I can see something three rooms from the start’. Even once I got the light and cracked the game open, most of the puzzle structure that I saw turned out to be basically fetch quests. I had to enlist the help of NPCs to do things, and it often wasn’t obvious who to talk to. There’s a young woman who is utterly infantilised despite being described as around 20, and it’s the creepiest thing ever. I was held up in my progress more than once by my extreme reluctance to engage with her.

I didn’t feel like the use of TADS’s quite powerful conversation system was the most effective. I guess the author has read “Choosing a Conversation System” in the TADS 3 Technical Manual, which recommends writing the actual questions the PC asks. But the thing is, that’s intended as a strategy for characterizing the PC, and this PC is not strongly characterized in any event. Instead it simply feels like the PC is rattling down a list of questions, which are not necessarily sorted by salience. The author also makes dutiful use of HelloTopics and ByeTopics, but in practice these are often overspecified. The unique aspects of the TADS 3 conversation system are intended to make conversation feel more natural, but their execution here makes the NPCs feel more like automatons and the conversations feel more like interrogations. ("“Are there any problems in your father-daughter relationship?”, you wonder.") And also, many plausible discussion topics have not been implemented. (I recall Eric Eve’s Blighted Isle making good use of the conversation system, but it’s been a long time since I played.)

Anyway, upon being asked to go and find three different flowers for pretty arbitrary reasons, I said to myself, “You know, I think I’ve seen enough of the game to make a judgement now.” I had thirty minutes left, but who knows how long it would have taken me to advance again. Will I return once I don’t have a time limit? Not sure. I respect the amount of work that goes into a game of this size and complexity, and I’m always glad to see work being done in TADS, but I’m not sure this type of item hunt is that rewarding.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Sting
The Golden Heist
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Silicon and Cells
Mermaids of Ganymede
Ghosts Within
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

2 Likes

Very different perception here. I interpreted her as having Down syndrome. In all her simplicity, enthousiasm and creativity, she made me think of a girl with Down I know. So my interpretation was based on that.

3 Likes

That’s quite possible, now that I think about it, and if it was the intent I may have to moderate my statement. I think what made me read it otherwise is the constant reference to her youth in the text.

I too interpreted the character as having some kind of condition, or suffering from a particularly tragic past event, but my thinking wasn’t as specific as yours.

– Jim

3 Likes

The same for me, authistic or down.

1 Like

Thank you very much for spending some time to check Ghosts Within. Any criticism is always welcome and contributes to my personal development as a writer, in general. After all, this was just my first attempt!

— Kyriakos

3 Likes

No problem!

I wonder if you have played Blighted Isle? It has a similiar scope to your game (large map including a town, many NPCs, multiple paths… only one ending, though.) If you haven’t I recommend it.

4 Likes

Skipping or postponing Andrew Schultz’s Fourbyfourian Quarryin’, as I played Fivebyfivia Delenda Est to prepare for it and upon completion thought “Right, that’s enough of that sort of puzzle for a minute.” No shade! Just not in the right headspace.

That takes us to Fine Felines, by Felicity Banks.

Spoilery Review

The Choice of Games house style (which Felicity Banks mostly embraces in her ChoiceScript work, even work which isn’t hosted by Choice of Games) is well-known for embracing player-defined PCs. One can have any gender, all love interests are presumptively pansexual so the player can have any romantic experience they want, and most games give you a list of names to choose from of a variety of ethnic backgrounds. This fits with the general CoG approach of emphasizing the player’s freedom to decide what sort of story they’re playing.

This approach breaks down, however, when it comes to disability, because it is impossible - not merely inadvisable, but impossible - to erase the ways a disability will affect a PC’s relationship to the world. Most CoG games are genre excercises and thus assume the player will be involved in a fair amount of physical activity. Providing options for a PC with a disability would require a lot of extra writing, so it usually isn’t done. You can try to emulate a disability by dumping a stat hard, I guess, but that lacks specificity. Choice of Games, by default, assumes that all protagonists are fully able-bodied. This is probably bad!

Fine Felines is very welcome, then, as a Choicescript game that sits down and says, “The PC has fibromyalgia. Whatever else is true about the avatar you’re making for yourself, they have fibromyalgia. Whatever else this story is about, it is also about living with fibromyalgia.” That is, it takes the straightforward approach of simply writing a disabled main character, and allowing that to affect the plot as much as it needs to.

Representation aside, this isn’t only a game about living with fibromyalgia. First it’s a game about KITTIES!

This is a game about starting a cat breeding business, and Banks has illustrated it with photographs of beautiful cats (all cats are beautiful). Banks takes care to note that “This is NOT a guide to becoming a cat breeder”, but the depictions of cat-breeding logistics and challenges feel credible. The cats have distinct personalities, all lovable, and are very convincingly drawn as cats: often moody, neurotic, and demanding, but also capable of intense affection.

The prose itself is okay. I like details such as:

“Bukit Hill used to be a one-Starbucks town but no one went to Starbucks because they knew it’d put the local coffee shop out of business. So now it’s a no-Starbucks town, and people seem to like it.”

which not only establishes the setting effectively but also establishes the tone of ‘people will generally be nice to one another.’

I liked keeping my cats and my kittens, but I have to call out a bug. I had only three kittens, but I was given the opportunity (at least in the text) to sell more than that! This was confusing, and especially destabilising because I had been trained to take my kittens very seriously as individuals. The game’s apparent lack of attention to how many kittens I actually have undermined both its logistical and emotional focii.

Oh well! All the cats were lovely, and the decisions were engaging. I liked it.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Fine Felines
Sting
The Golden Heist
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Silicon and Cells
Mermaids of Ganymede
Ghosts Within
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

4 Likes

Finding Light by Abigail Jazwiec

Spoilery Review

I had no expectations whatsoever going into Finding Light, and I found myself liking it a lot. I had a good time with it. It was an enjoyable way to spend an evening and I felt satisfied when I got to the end.

In fact I felt quite forgiving of it. You see, Finding Light has no credits and no listed beta testers (that I could find). If it truly has no beta testers, it is probably as smooth as a game without testers could possibly be. I found no glaring bugs. But there are minor failures of polish on every level. An action I needed to take to complete the game was underclued. (Also, this is the third time in this Comp I’ve encountered a maze that works on the principle this game’s maze does.) The puzzle design also includes several fetch quests, of the straighforward ‘give an item to get an item’ variety (all of them for keys, what’s more). I’ve been critical of fetch quests in other games I’ve played recently. Why am I more forgiving here?

Partly it may be because of the writing. The writing in this game is straightforwardly better than in the other games I’m thinking of. It’s more confident, more controlled, and (in the case of descriptive text) better at actually painting setting. I’ve realised, as I’ve been doing these reviews, that prose which feels crafted is important to my experience, but I often don’t know how to talk about it well.

I think more important than that is the presence of a meaningful emotional hook for the PC. In other games I’ll wake up with amnesia or be ordered to solve a mystery I have no connection to. But in this game… in this game I’m sort of a familiar spirit, a shapeshifter that a certain clan summons to guide and guard individual members throughout their lives. My charge has been captured, and I need to rescue him. This is a little odd, as I’m apparently a sapient being yet my entre life is defined in relation to someone else’s. But I can accept it as a sort of mythic or folktale idea that isn’t necessarily meant to reflect an actual relationship between people.

But freed from taking it as a literal relationship that should exist, I’m freed to see in it similarities to a variety of strictly incompatible bonds: a pet owner, a sibling, a lover. This gives the PC an emotional motivation that is comprehensible and strong, which goes a long way towards building my investment. Note that this has nothing to do with characterisation per se. We don’t actually know much about these two. But we can recognize them.

Also, knowing this sort of folktale logic is going on (which is confirmed as I can talk to any animal) provides a context in which even the fetch quests make sense. I ultimately exist as a helper, so having to find things for other creatures makes sense. Furthermore: it’s always food or drink, it’s always for a key, and it happens three times. At that point it stops being laziness and becomes a deliberate pattern, which strengthens the tone. And this sort of thing is why I had a good time with this game.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Fine Felines
Sting
The Golden Heist
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Finding Light
Silicon and Cells
Mermaids of Ganymede
Ghosts Within
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

Also, it won’t come up for a week, but I think I should just state now that I’ll never play The Belinsky Conundrum. Not for the comp, and not ever. And the reason for that is that I will never make an account on any platform run by Facebook, or, as I guess I have to call it now, Meta. Not even once. Thank you for understanding!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, thank you for leaving such a nice review! Apologies on the lack of credits, I wasn’t aware of them, but you are correct in that I did not have many testers. (Many never actually followed through…) I had 1 with IF experience, and 2 who were family/friends that had never played before, so a lot of the testing was done by me as I only went to each of them once.

I’m really glad you enjoyed the writing! I like to write in my spare time, so this was a lot of fun. I’m usually a lot more descriptive, but adding more description meant having to plan for possible player interactions and this is only my second parser attempt lol.

Fun fact, Ezra actually means “helper” :grinning: (which was a happy accident). With the exception of Aurel’s name, I chose all the character names with their meaning in mind. You’re the second or third person who has brought up the nature of the familiar/person bond being a bit strange, which I thought was interesting as it was not my intent. It’s closer to what you mentioned with family/lovers etc. I would love to explore more aspects of the lore in a sequel though-- out of curiosity, would you mind telling me which ending you got? (There is one that kind of gives more information on the pairing in my opinion.)

Thanks again!!

3 Likes

I got the ending where I stab a guy to death with my nice sharp knife! (I suspect most players got that ending. The import of the whetstone is pretty obvious.)

And you’re welcome! I wasn’t necessarily bothered by the literal implications of the familiar/human bond, for reasons I hope I explained well in the review :slightly_smiling_face:. And yes, there’s a convention in modern parser IF of crediting testers, in the response to either an ABOUT or CREDITS command.

I hope you do make more games!

2 Likes

Yes I suspect most people did get that ending too, but you never know. And I absolutely understand what you meant, and can understand how others may interpret it.

Thank you! I’d love to make an indirect sequel to this game honestly, but I think it would be lot denser in terms of creation.

1 Like

As the author of TBC, my reaction is: no problem :+1:

I actually loathe Facebook myself and only use it rarely for work stuff, but six years ago, I promised myself I’d do my first “real” game on Messenger because of [long and boring story redacted].

Anyway, that’s how it came to be that I published on FB Messenger. Furthermore, I just couldn’t stomach debugging some more g–d---- code in ChoiceScript or DialogFlow in the timeframe that I had, plus I just thought hey, nobody ever does an IFComp entry in FB (or any of the other chat messengers), so I said f— it, let’s do it.

Even shorter: I needed to publish a game on FB, so I did. Now that’s it’s done, let’s forget about it forever :coffin:

6 Likes

Skipped Enveloping Darkness.

Dr Horror’s House of Terror by Ade

Spoilery Review

Dr Horror’s House of Terror has a great premise. Turns out, the producer of the terrible horror movie you were performing terribly in is the leader of a demon cult and has selected you to be the sacrifice that will usher in Armageddon. However, he’s also captured a bunch of real monsters and forced them to act in his movies, and if you free them all you can lead them against him. That’s all the setup you need for a great campy send-up of old horror movies!

The game flips adroitly between the mundane and the macabre. There’s humor in the way everybody’s performing a little, on or off stage, and in the obliviousness of the PC to all the murder that’s already gone on. There’s an interesting new experimental approach to perilious situations (in which the verbset gets modified). Games of all sorts, and especially horror games, have the issue that if they pitch the difficulty wrong tension can quickly turn into frustration. I’m not sure how well the new system works to overcome that, but it was a decent idea.

I was very surprised, and a little dismayed, when the game made me violently murder a security guard, whose level of involvement with the bad stuff was not at all clear, to continue. And I do mean it was me who murdered the fictional security guard; it’s presented as a mistake on the PC’s part. This turned out not to be a one-off: all the studios have a guard you have to do terrible things to to progress.

This first guard, the one in studio 5, in particular didn’t seem to be a cultist because he didn’t turn me in to the cultists. But there was another thing; when he turned me out, he completely ignored the cultist I’d already killed (in self-defense) who was lying right outside the doorway. This was remarkable; what sort of callousness are we dealing with here? This turns out to be deliberate. it’s eventally established that the guards have some idea of what is going on but are turning a blind eye in the absence of anything else to do. The same is true for the human actors in other studios. This ties together with the PC’s disavowal of their own actions to make a commentary on complicity.

Isn’t the execution a little cynical, though? It’s not like the player’s new allies are heroic. This is in no way a game in which ‘monsters’ are used as stand-ins for marginalised groups or anything like that, and in fact it mocks the very idea. The monsters in this game are truly monstrous; willing to commit heinous deeds, and a threat to humanity in their own right. The Countess will blithely talk about how she just couldn’t stop herself from drinking all your blood.

As for the player character… the game hates the player character, actually, in a way that goes beyond the normal ‘lol you’re a schlub’ tone of some comedy games. It’s not just that he’s overwhemingly incompetent at his job, or incredibly slow on the uptake. There are a couple of PCs in this comp who can be described as ‘too naive for the world around them’: Hercules! and Boots Taylor from Song of the Mockingbird. But both these PCs were allowed to own their own successes (which in Boots’s case also involved killing a few guys.) The PC in this case, however, is marked by a sort of just-fumbling-through-it quality. This, of course, is wilful on the part of the PC, who is too cowardly to face up to what he is actually doing.

So, I get it, but at the same time, the game’s ambition doesn’t really seem to extend beyond ‘Look at all these bad people. Doesn’t everybody here just suck?’ I want to be clear that I don’t expect a story or game to give me likeable or admirable characters, or to deliver any sort of uplifting message. I do think, though, that the game’s examination of complicity is shallow and cynical, subsumed into the need for yuks and lacking in the sort of fire that would make it really compelling.

Note that I obviously did not complete the game within the time limit, but I did throw the game at glulx-strings within the time limit to make sure my take wasn’t missing anything, and found out all the late developments. They didn’t change my opinion of the game as a whole.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Fine Felines
Sting
The Golden Heist
The Libonotus Cup
Hercules!
Finding Light
Silicon and Cells
Dr Horror’s House of Terror
Mermaids of Ganymede
Ghosts Within
I Contain Multitudes
Wabewalker
The Library
The Spirit Within Us
Plane Walker
Kidney Kwest
Second Wind
The Vaults
What remains of me
Unfortunate
Smart Theory

5 Likes

The daughter by GioBorrows

Spoilery Review

This appears to be exactly what everybody was hoping wouldn’t happen when updates were first allowed during the comp: someone using the comp as a development lab, submitting blatantly unfinished work for the October 1 release and then pushing out a version with more material during the Comp. This is against the spirit of the Comp. I played the October 1 release.

The blurb says “In the far future everybody is queer, immortal, childless and looks like hot 30 years old.” I thought the laconic “looks like hot 30 years old” might be a sign that the author is trying to take the piss out of this sort of utopianism, but the game itself seems earnest. I do have questions about this premise! Many humans feel a strong urge to create and rear more humans. This is true even of some humans who do not want to have heterosexual sex. I’m not sure how the species would collectively get rid of that impulse, considering how far it’s brought us.

Another thing about the immortal childless society which is barely touched on in the October 1 release is the fact that, in principle, everybody should remember a time before the immortal childless society was instituted. But everyone appears to be strangely innocent about childhood and death. When a new child is born, it’s archaeologists who are responsible for working out care - not, say, people who were childcare professionals 25 centuries ago. Also, where’s the sense of age? These characters don’t feel like they’re all over 2494 years old. Arguably Bahgiratha would be more interesting alive: a young soul among nothing but old souls, trying to understand each other, trying to remember what it’s like.

But all this theortical discussion about the premise is avoiding the real point: this is the most incoherent thing I’ve seen in a while. Characters are thrown into scenes with no introduction, and none of them feel well-defined as individuals. Scenes themselves change with no signposting. There’s no real player character; instead we just head-hop wildly. At one point I was shocked to realise that I was not following the character I thought I was following but had been following a completely new character instead. The choices I am given are often inane (“Her father is unknown.” “Who is the father?”)

I try to be gentle with ESL prose, but this text is absolutely riddled with typos and other errors. There’s also no command of tone. Consider this sentence: “You would call him a hipster if they hadn’t stopped being a thing 2412 years, 3 months and 6 days ago, in the great hipster purge.” First off, who is ‘you’? There’s no PC. Second off, where did this sort of referential humor come from? Third, are you telling me that at a point after the immortal childfree utopia was established, there was a genocide… against hipsters? Clearly there’s a joke here but it’s hard to tell what it is.

Actually, what even is this society, which apparently is able to check in on everybody on the planet with testicles to see whether they’re someone’s father or not? Is it actually a draconian dystopia, as the hipster genocide joke suggests, or is it just really small (which would also have interesting historical implications)?

But the biggest inconsistency involves the very core of the plot. It’s made very clear that this world does not know permanent death. If anybody dies, they have super-tech that can fix that right up, and the only time anybody can die permanently is if they’re isolated when they die and no one can get to them within a couple of days and resuscitate them, and that hardly ever happens, which is why no-one knows how to handle it when a death does occur. This is extremely important to the story. So what happened to the mother of our unique murder victim?

“Her mother died in childbirth, she has been leaving [sic] happily in Modane for the past 16 years, educated by the entire community.”

There you go. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

And, of course, the October 1 release is unfinished and simply stops in the middle of a scene.

Rankings

A Paradox Between Worlds
The Last Doctor
Walking Into It
Fine Felines
Sting
The Golden Heist