Lauren O'Donoghue's IFComp 2024 Reviews

Thanks—I’m so glad you enjoyed the game!

When/where was this? If that option’s not unlocking when it’s supposed to, I’d definitely like to look into that.

2 Likes

So off the top of my head I think it was after I’d spoken to someone (Victor?) who identified Jack’s handwriting. There was definitely something mentioning speaking to Bob at one point before the accuse option unlocked but I can’t recall exact phrasing. As I said, I might have misread what it was saying about Bob - I was very excited to get to the next part so may have been reading a little too quickly! Apologies for wasting your time, if so.

3 Likes

I think you may have completed the whole unlocking the phone quest earlier than we intended! Did you by any chance get this info before getting locked in the power station?

(FYI, this is really difficult to do that early so congratulations on your time management abilities!)

Yes I did, that’s probably it! I really front-ended that task haha, felt important so I made it my first priority

2 Likes

In that case, it should be an easy fix! Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention.

2 Likes

You
Carter X Gwertzman

Note: Edited this review as I initially couldn’t work out one of the puzzles, but have been able to move past it with the help of @alyshkalia - thank you!

I think the format here is really lovely. It’s surreal but with a light touch, very playful, with some nice writing—I especially enjoyed the dialogue with the other characters you meet. The first few puzzles I encountered were quite intuitive and felt satisfying to solve. The colour and format changing was a clever approach, but did make the text very hard to read in some places. I liked the gentle learning curve, and the fact I didn’t have to panic about conserving resources. It allowed me to play in the space through trial and error rather than punishing me for messing up on early attempts, which I really appreciated. I didn’t opt to use the accessibility features but I think it’s great that they’re available!

I got stuck on the puzzle where you have to talk to the column of mushrooms. I looked for a walkthrough but there isn’t one available for this game, so that might be a helpful addition for future players.

I think the number of puzzles is perfect for the length of the game, which is short and sweet. The ending rewards you for your efforts thematically, and it feels like a really neat package altogether.

5 Likes

From when I tested the game (so not sure if anything has changed since then), this was what you had to do for that puzzle! Wolfbiter reviews IFComp 2024 - latest: A few hours later . . .; The Saltcast Adventure - #34 by alyshkalia

3 Likes

Oh brilliant that worked! Though I think I had to go to the cave to do the above-underline as the river just did below. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Ahhh, I must have gotten those two mixed up!