Latin help

The sentence doesn’t state exactly what is concealed or revealed; another way to state it is “What is hidden by the mind is brought to light by the truth”, or as I interpret it, “The lies we tell ourselves are shown to be false by direct application of the truth.”
Now, if I knew any Latin, I’m sure I’d be able to follow that up with a perfect translation… but as it is I have no idea.

Wow. I return to find this thread drew out Legends of Current IF.

My original version was “That which the mind conceals is revealed by the truth” but that got kind of weird on Google Translate. I went with “the mind conceals what the truth reveals” for simplicity.

I know I don’t know Latin, and that Google Translate was only spitting back word equivalents, which is why I came here for help…I’m a little overwhelmed that my English phrase caused a grammar/syntax/philosophical debate. I"m not married to the sentence, which was why I originally asked about several translations, wanting a “cool” sounding thing in Latin, knowing that the exact translation of something poetic in English probably wouldn’t work the same way.

At this point, I may not be smart enough for the room and probably need not attempt prose in a language I do not know for my dumb little comedy game.

Does anyone mind if I revive this thread? I have forgotten most of my high school Latin, and would like some help translating an old homework assignment.

See, I recently rediscovered an old workbook of mine, and in the back are phrases in Latin accompanied by some of my old badly-drawn cartoons. Some of them I can easily guess what they say, based on what little Latin I remember and the old cartoons; most I can understand with a little help from Google Translate; one, though, I cannot make head or tails of at all. The sentence is “Cupio Bobum dare mihi casam,”; Google Translate returns something filthy, which I doubt a high school Latin assignment would be. If it helps, the cartoon shows a man with the nametag “Bob” shaking hands with a man in a bow-tie, who is rolling his eyes and has a though bubble showing him and Bob sharing bread (or possible one of them is giving it to the other). If any of you can help me with this, that would be great.

“I want Bob to give me a hut”. I don’t have a dictionary handy; maybe “casam dare” also means “to give hospitality” or some such - that might explain the bread sharing image.

“I want to give my house to his oxen”? Are oxen filthier than I had imagined?

matt w: Ha, it turns out I was misremembering that because when I originally asked some other forum to translate the phrase, some chucklecuss just ran it through Google Translate (I had already done this (though to be fair I didn’t explicitly say that I did (but why would you think that I didn’t?!))), and then some smart aleck added:

Which made me very angry for reasons I can’t fully articulate. Possibly the presumptuousness of it all got to me, or possibly I am just a huge prude.

Biep: Thanks for translation! I’m not sure if “casam dare” would mean hospitality in this sentence or if I just got my Latin vocab wrong here.

Well, if you may have got things wrong, the only thing I can think of is “caseum dare” - to give me [a, some] cheese. But then you would also have to have mistaken the cheese in the picture for a bread…