Kind of Value problem

Hello

I have created a room with 5 tables at which various amounts of people sit.

When the player approaches a table, the story will show a list of all the people at that table.

I want the following code to show features of each player from a list of people (specified in the description under [list of people]) at that specific table. And subsequently for all the other tables as well.

The code should be separate for each table.

Here is the code:

Planning Section Table is a room. The description of the Planning Section Table is "A big square table seating eight people. At the west side of the table sits the [bold type]Planning Section Chief and the Situation Unit Leader[roman type], at the south side of the table sits the [bold type]Damage Assessment Unit Leader and the Recovery Coordinator[roman type], at the east side of the table sits the [bold type]Resource Tracking Unit Leader and the Demobilization Coordinator[roman type] and at the north side of the table sits the [bold type]Documentation Unit Leader and the Information Management Coordinator[roman type][paragraph break]Go west to the Inside-EOC or south to the Financial Section Table or north to the Public Information & Operations Section Table[paragraph break][list of people]Planning Section Chief, Situation Unit Leader, Damage Assessment Unit Leader, Recovery Coordinator, Resource Tracking Unit Leader, Demobilization Coordinator, Documentation Unit Leader, Information Management Coordinator."

*Feature is a kind of value. The features are honest, accountable, organized, loyal, punctual, flexible, team player, creative, technological competent and problem solver.*
*Appearance relates various persons to various features.  The verb to appear means the appearance relation.*

*Planning Section Chief appears honest.*
*Situation Unit Leader appears accountable.*
*Damage Assessment Unit Leader appears loyal.*
*Recovery Coordinator appears honest.*
*Resource Tracking Unit Leader appears organized.*
*Demobilization Coordinator appears technological competent.*
*Documentation Unit Leader appears accountable.*
*Information Management Coordinator appears punctual.*

*To say list of people:*
*	say "[paragraph break]The honest ones: [list of people who appear honest][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The accountable ones: [list of people who appear accountable][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The organized ones: [list of people who appear organized][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The loyal ones: [list of people who appear loyal][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The punctual ones: [list of people who appear punctual][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The flexible ones: [list of people who appear flexible][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The Team player ones: [list of people who appear team player][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The creative ones: [list of people who appear creative][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The technological competent ones: [list of people who appear technological competent][paragraph break]";*
*	say "The problem solver ones: [list of people who appear problem solver][paragraph break]".*

The part that starts with Feature is a value… needs to function at each table separately only evaluating the people at that table and not the others.

Currently that code evaluates everybody in the room.

I have struggled the whole afternoon trying to figure this out but now I need your help please.

Not sure I understand everything.
In your code, people are nowhere, you need to place them in the rooms.
If each table is a different room, you can limit the list of people with “in the location” as in list of people in the location who appear accountable. Only people at the current table (really in the current room) will be considered.
Does that help?

The people are actually part of tables like this:

Logistics Section Chief is in the Logistics Section Table. The description is "Responsible for managing, organizing, and supervising the Logistics section on wildland fire incidents.".

Understand "planning section chief" or "strategy chief" or "logistics department head" or "logistics" or "head of log section" as the Logistics Section Chief.

Each table is declared as a different room like this:

Logistics Section Table is a room. The description of the Logistics Section Table is "A big square table seating seven people. At the west side of the table sits the [bold type]Logistics Section Chief[roman type], at the south side of the table sits the [bold type]Services Unit Leader and the Food Coordinator[roman type], at the east side of the table sits the [bold type]Personnel Coordinator and the Order Placement Clerk[roman type] and at the north side of the table sits the [bold type]Supply Coordinator and the Resource Unit Leader[roman type][paragraph break]Go north to the Inside-EOC or go east to the Finance Section Table[list of people]Logistics Section Chief, Services Unit Leader, Food Coordinator, Personnel Coordinator, Order Placement Clerk, Supply Coordinator, Resource-Unit Leader."

Understand "Logistics table" or "Log table" or "Logistics section" or "logistics" as the Logistics Section Table.

Makes perfect sense I am just not sure where I need to implement your suggested code list of people in the location who appear accountable.

Can you maybe guide as to where I implement with my existing code from this post and the previous post?

say "[paragraph break]The honest ones: [list of people who appear honest in the location][paragraph break]";

It’s all these lines (I think this is how you you need to change the syntax, so the relation condition appears before the location condition).

Thanks, will give it a try

Below is my code:

Feature is a kind of value. The features are honest, accountable, organized, loyal, punctual, flexible, team player, creative, technological competent and problem solver.
Appearance relates various persons to various features.  The verb to appear means the appearance  relation.

Logistics Section Chief appears loyal. 
Services Unit Leader appears honest and accountable.
Food Coordinator appears organized and team player.
Personnel Coordinator appears technological competent and creative.
Order Placement Clerk appears problem solver and loyal.
Supply Coordinator appears honest and punctual.
Resource-Unit Leader appears organized and team player.

To say list of people:
	say "[paragraph break]The honest ones: [list of people who appear honest in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The accountable ones: [list of people who appear accountable in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The organized ones: [list of people who appear organized in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The loyal ones: [list of people who appear loyal in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The punctual ones: [list of people who appear punctual in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The flexible ones: [list of people who appear flexible in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The Team player ones: [list of people who appear team player in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The creative ones: [list of people who appear creative in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The technological competent ones: [list of people who appear technological competent in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]";
	say "The problem solver ones: [list of people who appear problem solver in the Logistics Section Table][paragraph break]".

Logistics Section Table is a room. The description of the Logistics Section Table is "A big square table seating seven people. At the west side of the table sits the [bold type]Logistics Section Chief[roman type], at the south side of the table sits the [bold type]Services Unit Leader and the Food Coordinator[roman type], at the east side of the table sits the [bold type]Personnel Coordinator and the Order Placement Clerk[roman type] and at the north side of the table sits the [bold type]Supply Coordinator and the Resource Unit Leader[roman type][paragraph break]Go north to the Inside-EOC or go east to the Finance Section Table [list of people][paragraph break] Logistics Section Chief, Services Unit Leader, Food Coordinator, Personnel Coordinator, Order Placement Clerk, Supply Coordinator, Resource-Unit Leader.[paragraph break]".

Understand "Logistics table" or "Log table" or "Logistics section" or "logistics" as the Logistics Section Table.

but the outcome looks like this:

Logistics Section Table
A big square table seating seven people. At the west side of the table sits the Logistics Section Chief, at the south side of the table sits the Services Unit Leader and the Food Coordinator, at the east side of the table sits the Personnel Coordinator and the Order Placement Clerk and at the north side of the table sits the Supply Coordinator and the Resource Unit Leader

Go north to the Inside-EOC or go east to the Finance Section Table 

The honest ones: nothing

The accountable ones: nothing

The organized ones: nothing

The loyal ones: nothing

The punctual ones: nothing

The flexible ones: nothing

The Team player ones: nothing

The creative ones: nothing

The technological competent ones: nothing

The problem solver ones: nothing

Logistics Section Chief, Services Unit Leader, Food Coordinator, Personnel Coordinator, Order Placement Clerk, Supply Coordinator, Resource-Unit Leader.

Any idea it shows nothing instead of the names of the people at that table?

I did had the Top part of the firs block of code below the Logistics section is a room with the same results.

Since I assume you’re using the same “to say” statement in each room, don’t put in a specific room name - just say “the location”, as in my example. “The location” is Inform shorthand for the room where the player is, so that way the same code will work everywhere the player goes.

(I just tested this and it appears to work, though I’m away from the computer now - if it’s still not working let me know and I’ll paste in my actual code later).

Thanks will do

I changed my actual location to read “the location” but still got no reply. Do I need to change?

``Logistics Section Table is a room. The description of the Logistics Section Table is “A big square table seating seven people. At the west side of the table sits the [bold type]Logistics Section Chief[roman type], at the south side of the table sits the [bold type]Services Unit Leader and the Food Coordinator[roman type], at the east side of the table sits the [bold type]Personnel Coordinator and the Order Placement Clerk[roman type] and at the north side of the table sits the [bold type]Supply Coordinator and the Resource Unit Leader[roman type][paragraph break]Go north to the Inside-EOC or go east to the Finance Section Table [list of people][paragraph break] Logistics Section Chief, Services Unit Leader, Food Coordinator, Personnel Coordinator, Order Placement Clerk, Supply Coordinator, Resource-Unit Leader.[paragraph break]”.`

also, to read [list of people in the location] - I did but not working.

and this one to read [list of people in the location] - tried it not working.

To say **list of people:** 

say "[paragraph break]The honest ones: [list of people who appear honest in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The accountable ones: [list of people who appear accountable in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The organized ones: [list of people who appear organized in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The loyal ones: [list of people who appear loyal in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The punctual ones: [list of people who appear punctual in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The flexible ones: [list of people who appear flexible in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The Team player ones: [list of people who appear team player in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The creative ones: [list of people who appear creative in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The technological competent ones: [list of people who appear technological competent in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The problem solver ones: [list of people who appear problem solver in the location][paragraph break]".

I think I found part of my problem; I left the code below out:

a man called Logistics section Chief is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Services Unit Leader is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Food Coordinator is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Personnel Coordinator is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Order Placement Clerk is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Supply Coordinator is in the Logistics Section Table.
a man called Resource-Unit Leader is in the Logistics Section Table.

Will call on your guys as I go along.

As I said this is my third day with Inform 7.

Thanks for all your help so far.

It is much appreciated.

That’s impressive progress for only three days! I’ve been using Inform 7 for like two and a half years now and I still barely touch relations.

Anyway, here’s code that seems to work for me:

Planning Section Table is a room. The description of the Planning Section Table is "A big square table seating eight people. At the west side of the table sits the [bold type]Planning Section Chief and the Situation Unit Leader[roman type], at the south side of the table sits the [bold type]Damage Assessment Unit Leader and the Recovery Coordinator[roman type], at the east side of the table sits the [bold type]Resource Tracking Unit Leader and the Demobilization Coordinator[roman type] and at the north side of the table sits the [bold type]Documentation Unit Leader and the Information Management Coordinator[roman type][paragraph break]Go west to the Inside-EOC or south to the Financial Section Table or north to the Public Information & Operations Section Table[paragraph break][list of people]Planning Section Chief, Situation Unit Leader, Damage Assessment Unit Leader, Recovery Coordinator, Resource Tracking Unit Leader, Demobilization Coordinator, Documentation Unit Leader, Information Management Coordinator."

Feature is a kind of value. The features are honest, accountable, organized, loyal, punctual, flexible, team player, creative, technological competent and problem solver.
Appearance relates various persons to various features.  The verb to appear means the appearance relation.

Planning Section Chief appears honest. Planning Section Chief is in Planning Section Table.
Situation Unit Leader appears accountable.  Situation Unit Leader is in Planning Section Table.
Damage Assessment Unit Leader appears loyal. He is in Planning Section Table.
Recovery Coordinator appears honest. He is in Planning Section Table.
Resource Tracking Unit Leader appears organized. He is in Planning Section Table.
Demobilization Coordinator appears technological competent. He is in Planning Section Table.
Documentation Unit Leader appears accountable. He is in Planning Section Table.
Information Management Coordinator appears punctual. He is in Planning Section Table.

To say list of people:
	say "The accountable ones: [list of people who appear accountable in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The organized ones: [list of people who appear organized in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The loyal ones: [list of people who appear loyal in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The punctual ones: [list of people who appear punctual in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The flexible ones: [list of people who appear flexible in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The Team player ones: [list of people who appear team player in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The creative ones: [list of people who appear creative in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The technological competent ones: [list of people who appear technological competent in the location][paragraph break]";
	say "The problem solver ones: [list of people who appear problem solver in the location][paragraph break]".

Which, when the player looks, gives:

Planning Section Table
A big square table seating eight people. At the west side of the table sits the Planning Section Chief and the Situation Unit Leader, at the south side of the table sits the Damage Assessment Unit Leader and the Recovery Coordinator, at the east side of the table sits the Resource Tracking Unit Leader and the Demobilization Coordinator and at the north side of the table sits the Documentation Unit Leader and the Information Management Coordinator

Go west to the Inside-EOC or south to the Financial Section Table or north to the Public Information & Operations Section Table

The honest ones: Planning Section Chief and Recovery Coordinator

The accountable ones: Situation Unit Leader and Documentation Unit Leader

The organized ones: Resource Tracking Unit Leader

The loyal ones: Damage Assessment Unit Leader

The punctual ones: Information Management Coordinator

The flexible ones: nothing

The Team player ones: nothing

The creative ones: nothing

The technological competent ones: Demobilization Coordinator

The problem solver ones: nothing

Planning Section Chief, Situation Unit Leader, Damage Assessment Unit Leader, Recovery Coordinator, Resource Tracking Unit Leader, Demobilization Coordinator, Documentation Unit Leader, Information Management Coordinator.

>

From the latest excerpts you’ve posted I can’t easily see a place where things have gone wrong, but hopefully the complete example here will help you figure out if something’s gone wrong elsewhere in your code.

EDIT: I said something dumb, removing it to avoid confusion.

Is that an issue? Normally the description is the only property that matters for rooms—the initial appearance is for things.

The Lab is a room. The description of the lab is "Description here."
North of the Lab is the Annex.
Lab
Description here.
>n
Annex
>s
Lab
Description here.
>
1 Like

You are completely right, my brain must be on the fritz! The room description wasn’t firing on startup and for some reason I thought that was the issue even though of course that’s wrong.

1 Like

Thank, appreciate your help

Thanks will look into it

Just an update on the code I was asking help with. With all your help and solutions I manage to get it working just as I want.

Thanks again, but do not thinks you are finished with me :laughing: as I will most probably have much more questions as I go along.

My game in the end will mostly focus on relation asn actions and as I am new I am learning from you guys as I go along.

1 Like