Is it possible to rename the title of private messages?

Is it possible to rename the title of a private message? In a forum topic, you get a pencil icon beside the title and this allows you to rename it, but you don’t get this with private messages.

I’m asking because I have multiple private messages between different people, but they all have the same title because those people have responded to the same forum post. This gets very confusing very quickly when you are trying to find a specific thread in your notification history. It’s okay when there’s only one reply, but when there’s 2 or more replies, the sender’s ID is replaced by “2 replies” or similar.

2 Likes

Hmm, good question. I just checked on my account, and as far as I can tell, one can edit the titles of private messages/conversations which one initiated oneself, but not the titles of private conversations initiated by others.
And in this particular case, even though you are in one sense the originator of the conversations by posting the original forum post, the other people are technically the initiators of the private conversations by responding to the public post.

3 Likes

Ah, of course. That’s probably the reason why. In future, I need to start a new thread after the initial contact. In case you’re interested, this is related to beta testing.

Yeah, I think that’s a good idea.

Maybe you know this, but just to be sure: you can also relatively quickly jump to your Inbox overview by clicking twice on the mail envelope icon beneath your profile pic (profile pic → one click on envelope to change to the messages tab → another click brings you to the inbox overview).
It’s not as quick as the one-glance “bell icon” notification tab, but still useful to quickly see a list of the threads with their author profile icons.

2 Likes

Thank you for working this out; the PM creator can edit the title. Public thread titles can be edited by any Regular user at trust-level 3 or above, but PMs are owned by the originator. Staff with Admin privileges [and possibly Mods? I’m not sure] can change any title due to fabulous cosmic powers, but we won’t generally read user PMs unless invited or for troubleshooting or moderation purposes.

One quick shortcut - if you’re in a thread and you click a responder’s name it brings up their profile card with a Message button. Clicking that will create a new PM that includes a link and quoted summary of the original thread you started from.

1 Like

I changed it to [Rovarsson’s thread for “Alchemist’s Gold” ].

1 Like

I’m actually a mod on another Discourse-based forum, and I can at least confirm that I have the ability to edit post titles on the forum itself, but I cannot access any PMs I’m not already a part of, unless someone adds me after the fact. However, once I’m in, I can edit the title of the PM.

1 Like

Are you a vampire of sorts?

3 Likes

The fact that I sleep in a coffin is purely coincidental.

2 Likes

I figured it would be that but hadn’t confirmed; Admins can do anything, Mods can edit in the forum but not access PM.