Is It Possible To Have a Carry Out thing (called X) and thing (called Z) +Problem (Solved!)

I just wanna know if it possible to have a Carry Out function that… carrys out 2 things at once.

Heres the problem: (A poor example of it)

Item1 is kind of thing.
Item2 is kind of Item.

Understand “use [Item2] on [Item1]” as Memeing.

Memeing is action applying to two things.

Carry out memeing Item1 (called X):
|Insert random coding stuff here|

The problem I’m having with this is that the carry out function is only picking up on Item2, but I want to pick up Item1, is there any solutions to fix it? (So I can use the double carry out function on to process )

Can you try:

Item1 is kind of thing.
Item2 is kind of thing. [not item] [unless you’re making a kind of a kind?]
[Item2 is a kind of item1]

Memeing is action applying to two things.
Understand “use something on something” as Memeing.

Carry out memeing something on Item1 (called X):
[…]

There’s some meta in your example that I may be confused on, sorry if I’m misinterpreted what you’re asking.

1 Like

One thing here is that when you define an action on two things, you usually want to have the word “it” and a preposition, which tells Inform the syntax for how to refer to both things. For instance (this may not be the exact definition from the Standard Rules):

Inserting it into is an action applying to two things.

tells Inform that the action is going to be referred to in the source code as “Inserting foo into bar” or whatever. (This is just for the source code! Any commands for the action, like PUT LOTION IN BASKET, will have to be taken care of with “Understand” lines.)

So in your case you probably want something like:

Memeing it with is an action applying to two things.
Understand "use [something] on [something]" as memeing it with.
Carry out memeing something (called X) on something (called Y): [random coding stuff]

Also note that you can use “[something]” in the Understand line if you want to use a generic thing. If you define item1 and item2 as kinds and use “[item1]” and “[item2]” in your Understand lines, then the commands will only be understood for things that you’ve specifically defined as belonging to the item1/item2 kinds, respectively.

2 Likes

And notably, if you use [item1] and [item2] in your command line rather than using Check rules, any attempt to use a different thing will get an unhelpful “I couldn’t understand that sentence” error.