Introducing Ourselves

Hey folks! I’m Matt Griffin in Brooklyn, NY. While adventure games hooked me from mystery house forward (played on an apple perched in a closet in a friend’s house down the street – even sneaked back there to keep going), I’m one of those who started picking up infocom games towards the end of its commercial run and then got truly hooked on the Masterpieces releases. I have been following Ifcomp and interactive fiction since, increasingly excited with the new voices, new approaches, and experiments in narrative. But remained in basically player / lurker status until the first Narrascope. Despite having an MFA in writing, a background in film, and career in technology, I have only in the past year decided to bring together the various parts of myself to give writing IF a go. While I sat out sharing anything at IFComp and other game jams/hackathons this year, maybe it is enough that I’m not giving myself that “I don’t know that system” yet excuse and am spending time writing, experimenting, and reading-source for a bunch of inform, twine, and choice projects. SUPER excited to spending time on this now with all of you, when there is such a tremendous upswelling of passion, exploration, and creativity in this community! And seeing so many of my early indie interactive fiction heroes focused on widening the tent, encouraging new approaches and backgrounds and expectations around all narrative interactive forms has just been really a bright light in a dismal time. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hi folks,

i have somewhat experience in several programming languages. Learned a bit of that and something else. I have had lots of ideas but never had time to master any language. So mostly done some ping pongs and several never finished games :slight_smile:

I recently discovered software named Quest and soon after Twine. After playing with them a while, i realised that they are tools for me. No need to think too much the coding itself, but more time to craete story for the game.

I was born at 1975 and my first experiences with computer games were early 80’s. I guess thats why text games and ascii graphics are close to me. Not offence for modern games, i enjoy playing latest Fifa aswell.

I have had a short story, happens in Star Wars universe in my mind for years. After pondering between Quest and Twine, i started to make it with Twine. It feels good that i can concentrate for the story itself, i hope i can make it interesting enough for someone playing it.

With Quest it would have been more rgb-style, but i think it works better as a interactive book or text adventure. With Twine i can add multiple possible endings. This way the replay value is better.

I do also like to play bass time to time. You may check out my playings at https://www.youtube.com/c/KristianVirtanen/

Thanks, EK

11 Likes

Hi there!

New voices, reviews, responses are always welcome.
Have fun exploring the diversity of Interactive Fiction. It has evolved a bit since the early nineties…

(PS: Your Manowar bass cover had me headbanging.)

3 Likes

Hi,

I’ve just followed the link you provided and found out you are the author of Napier’s Cache. Thank you very much for that game, I enjoyed it very much.

Now, off to explore more of your website.

Greets, Rovarsson.

2 Likes

Hi everybody!

I had interactions with computers since I was 1 year old (no joke btw) and now I’m a second grade Computer Science student. I’m specially into game developing and I’m more into racing games. However, I’ve also lately started getting interest towards interactive fiction as well, being inspired from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in terms of gameplay. I even work on a San Andreas inspired text adventure game right now on Quest 5.
I’m also thinking about making a few visual novels, but without a very strict gameplay. Then I may test myself in graphical adventure, with a Legend Of Zelda type game. Speaking of graphics, my pixel art level is at around Atari 2600/early Famicom.

6 Likes

Ha Camero,

Your game development and future career look very interesting and fun. Be sure to post your work as it develops.

Welcome!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll open a thread for it. And the game is already promising a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello all, I’n new here so I thought I might introduce myself. I found this community while looking for tips and tricks because I am trying to create the text adventure game that I wanted to play but could not find. I am currently using Twine and Sugarcube as I think those tools can let me create the story that is in my head.

I was born in '71 and have been playing games on a computer since the early 80’s. Besides a bord game I made in the early 80’s I never made a game so creating this interactive story is a challenging adventure for me.

Oh … English isn’t my native language so I apologize in advance for spelling and language errors. :wink:

10 Likes

IMO, that’s the best reason to create a game.

6 Likes

Wow! Creating your own board game is very cool. Good luck with the interactive fiction game.

5 Likes

Good day! My name is David and I’ve been playing IF since I typed up text adventures from Softside magazine and loaded Scott Adams adventures from cassette onto my family’s TRS-80. My junior high school friends and I found a way to log onto MIT computers in the late 70’s to play the pre-Infocom Zork. I created a few (horrible) adventures in high school in BASIC and, in college, played through several classic Infocom games.

Sometime in the 90’s and 00’s I rediscovered IF and some of the legendary games (Spider and Web, Photopia, Anchorhead etc.) but then stepped away from IF for a while. Because of the pandemic, I’ve been playing some IF again with friends through Zoom and screen sharing.

Thank you all for keeping this community alive!

10 Likes

// found a way to log onto MIT computers in the last 70’s to play the pre-Infocom Zork.

A hacker huh? The phone cops are on the way! :wink:

Welcome

1 Like

Well, hello everyone.
Bumbling around IF, I found myself here after a while. I guess it started when I stumbled upon Zork, then parser stuff, cyoa, and here.
I try to write somewhat, especially during this pandemic, it offers me a good place to stay while I’m bored.
Of course, I have a personal life outside of IF, it can all be summed up to “whatever is fun”.

So there we go, glad to be here with y’all.

8 Likes

Hey there everyone!

I’m relatively new to IF as I didn’t really grow up playing them. I’ve been a gamer since I was a kid and became really interested in the potential for interactive storytelling in video games while playing some of the Bioware CRPGs. That led me down a rabbit hole where I found the works of people like Chris Crawford and Emily Short who were using IF to do a lot of exploration of interactive storytelling concepts. Now, I’m interested in using IF to carry the proverbial torch!

By day, I’m a software engineer writing back-end code for whatever random web company I’m employed with at the time (I like to move around a lot :woman_shrugging:). I’m a pretty competent programmer, but don’t really have much of a writing background. Outside of work, I like to cook, play piano, watch movies, and stay active with running and weightlifting.

10 Likes

howdy everyone, I’m Mara! Chinese high school student, bumped into IF in 2020 when a book I was reading referenced it. I found a website with all the classic parser games on it- Curses, Adventure, Zork- and got obsessed (though I kept getting myself stuck and annoyed that none of my friends wanted to play with me).

then I discovered that IF wasn’t just something super old that had died out ages ago, and managed to get a little more comfortable with the way text adventures worked- plus it was so exciting to have so many new games to try. I like playing all forms of IF, but I don’t think I’ll ever dip into authoring. there’s a reason I dropped out of computer science.

11 Likes

Welcome! I saw your review of Eat Me on IFDB and thought it was great. I hope you find more great games!

4 Likes

I know, right?! Same here. None of my real-life friends has shown any interest in IF, despite my explaining it to them very passionately. (Hmmm… Maybe because of my decribing it to them so passionately.)

Anyhow, we’re very lucky there’s such a welcoming community in virtual life.

Might I ask what book it was that brought you to IF?

(Also, I second mathbrush’ compliment on your review of Eat Me.)

3 Likes

it was in a textbook for school! I can’t remember the exact title, but there was a section about forms of fiction and media and that’s where IF came in.

and yes!! it is quite hard to find people who play IF, and it’s great that this community is so nice^^

thank you guys for the welcome :smiley:

6 Likes

Welcome to intfiction.org

Wonderful story. But, I hope you reconsider authoring IF someday. You do not have to be a computer programmer. Take a look at Twine and Inform 7 for starters. I will bet you have stories waiting to be told.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I’m a college student who just got into IF, so I’m really excited about learning more. I downloaded inform7 and twine a few days ago to try and write something. I’m interested in game development but I’ve never studied programming before, so I thought these programs and text adventures would be a good place to start. I draw a little bit as well, so hopefully I can add some images too. Any tips, advice, and resources are much appreciated!

13 Likes