Introducing Ourselves

Welcome and well met, fair traveller.

Can you imagine if you met a group of people in real life for the first time and one exclaimed ā€˜Welcome to the zoo!ā€™ and another said ā€˜Welcome and well met, traveller.ā€™ I would run a goddamn mile. Iā€™m not being snarky, I just found it an amusing mental image.

Oh, and welcome, xavea!

youā€™d miss half the fun

welcome and stay under the spotlights

beware of grues

You would definitely miss out on a ton of fun. My friends say stuff like this in person too, so it sounds like Iā€™ll fit right in here! I did lurk for a little while to get the feel the boards and whatnot before I signed up, and I think this could be a fantastic place for me since most of my offline friends, while massive geeks, are not really into IF. Hooray for niche communities! :smiley:

Also, I always make sure to properly ration my lantern fuel. Friends are always welcome in my light to stave off the grues. :wink:

1 Like

Hi folks!

Another inmate, just joined the, er, Institution? (Not sure about the zooā€¦). :wink:

Iā€™ve been hooked on IF since I ground my way through the original Adventure on a terminal attached to a DEC mainframe circa 1977 or thereabouts (in retrospect I hate to think how many tree branches of paper I got through). Fast forward a year or so and I was playing it on my Apple][, and the rest (as TP once wrote) is geography.

Just discovered I7 and am reeling back in amazement/fear (probably both).

Iā€™ll revert to Lurking mode now. Until feeding time, anyway.

Cheers,

Rincewand

1 Like

Welcome!

:slight_smile: Fond memories.

I got into MUDs when I was 14 (currently 23).

Nameā€™s Leonard, age 51.

I started text adventures, as they were called back then, in the early 80ā€™s, and started out writing my own parsers on the C64.

Two days ago I stumbled upon the IF community, and coundā€™t believe my eyes. Now I have this itch to create a gameā€¦ but as Iā€™ve mentioned in another post, Iā€™m not much of a programmer.

Welcome Leonard! And Rincewand. And everyone else Iā€™ve missed. :smiley:

Iā€™ve been playing IF since I could learn to press keys on a keyboard. Not regularly of course, and not always enthusiastically, but occasionally.

Iā€™m finally, after 2-3 decades, learning a system. Iā€™ve tried some of the ā€œconversationalā€ ones that are intended to be easy to code, and never found them as intuitive as they claim. Now Iā€™m trying Tads, and so far it looks like the initial learning curve might be worth the investment.

Anyway, here I am to look for help. I mean collaborate. Yeah. Collaborate.

Welcome on board! Youā€™ll find that this a very well-tended resource with lots of helpful people. At least I did.

Hello, Iā€™m Stefan. I live in Augsburg. Iā€™m 24, and have a degree in English, which Iā€™m sadly not using in any professional capacity.

I started playing adventure games in 1993 on my Amiga 1200. I never played much text adventures, mostly graphical adventures like Space Quest.

I rediscovered IF recently and here I am.

Welcome to intfiction.org! I hope you find lots of things to enjoy in interactive fiction and the community.

Hello! Iā€™m Will Oā€™Neill, a writer in Toronto. I saw Emily Shortā€™s tweet today about the XYZZY finalists and was delighted to see so many of my favourite games from 2013 were in there. Horse Master is probably the best thing I played last year, and I love a lot of Porpentineā€™s stuff as well. I also wish Iā€™d known about XYZZY in time to enter http://www.actualsunlight.com, but maybe Iā€™ll have something new for this year.

I might be transitioning towards more of a traditional adventure game format from RPG Maker, but this place still feels like home in terms of a focus on the importance of great writing. I am pleased to be here with you all - please do not throw things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Will!

As you may know, ā€œentering the XYZZY awardsā€ just means ā€œmaking an entry for your game on IFDB in its release year.ā€ Even aside from the XYZZYs I hope youā€™ll make that entry!

Hi Will! I love RPG Maker (are you using VX Ace?), though I find it kind of limiting due to the size of the RTP and the fact that it only seems to run on Windows. You may wanna try Renā€™Py or AGS if youā€™re comfortable making art assets and want to do adventure games that include them :slight_smile:

Thanks Inurashii! Yes, Iā€™m on VX Ace. One thing that I really find helps is to get rid of all the RTP stuff you donā€™t need after building your game - got mine from a few hundred megs(!) down to only seventy or so.

If youā€™re interested in doing IF in VX Ace, I actually put a resource and guide for it up on the Steam Workshop not too long ago:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=232186884

Iā€™m actually checking out AGS right now! Renā€™py is great if you can twist it around someā€¦ All of Christine Loveā€™s stuff is great for this.

And yep, Matt, Iā€™ve put my game into the database! Thanks very much for letting me know.

Hullo, all! Iā€™ve made a couple posts elsewhere, but I figure now is as good a time as any to introduce myself.

Iā€™m Kasran (not my real name, as you probably guessed), an 18-year-old computer science student living in North Carolina. Video games of all sorts are my passion, and Iā€™m hoping to someday make my living on game development. In the interim I do game dev as a hobby; I also love building fantasy storyworlds, writing, music, math, logic, linguistics, puzzles, and a host of other miscellaneous things.

Interactive fiction in particular has been of interest to me for a long time, though I only just recently (as in a few days ago) got back into it after reading about Counterfeit Monkey on, of all the places, TV Tropes. I might try my hand at writing one soon; I have Inform 7 on my computer and have been reading the Guide a bit.

Welcome! Youā€™ll find yourself in good company; there are game devs both aspiring and professional floating around here.

Iā€™m in the latter category, currently exhausted from 3 days showing off www.revolution60.com at PAX East. If you ever have any questions about non-IF game dev, feel free to open an off-topic thread or PM me. I love the game dev industry and enjoy talking with aspiring game devs.

Hello all,
Coneely here. Glad to have found you all. I dabbled in IF decades ago, and on and off through the years and have recently come back to it. The progress of IF over the last few years is staggering and very exciting to say the least. I am definitely looking forward to working on some of my own as a very novice programmer, but mostly as a story teller. As a huge fan of video games and role playing, this particular medium of world building and story telling has me very excited. Looking forward to meeting you all.