Interacting with a character

Hello, all:

I am used to just using tables for character interaction with a simple “Topic” and “Reply” format.

I’d like to use a different way to code an interaction. I got it to compile but it does not perform correctly:

instead of asking wall street panic snopes about when topic understood is "Lucien":
	say "Nice enough guy, I guess.  Bit grumpy.  Old.  Smells a bit funny.  You know the way old people smell?  He smells like that.'

When playing the game, the interaction I get is:

>Ask Wall about Lucien
There is no reply.

Obviously I’m not coding this properly but can’t figure it out. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 Like

Try:

Carry out asking Wall Street panic snopes about “Lucien”:

(I’d definitely do this as carry out rules, rather than instead - maybe you decide midway through the game that you need an “after asking someone about something” rule, to pick an example that happened to me!)

1 Like

I had tried “report” but not carry out. With a little tweak carry out worked well:

carry out asking wall street panic snopes about "Lucien":
	say "Nice enough guy, I guess.  Bit grumpy.  Old.  Smells a bit funny.  You know the way old people smell?  He smells like that.'"

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

If you have a ton of conversation topics, you might want to look at the extension “Conversation Responses” by Eric Eve.

It smooths out the ask/tell syntax, and you can write rules like

Response of Bob when asked about the mountain:
Response of Bob when told about [murder]:
Response of Bob when shown the wallet:

1 Like

I’m trying to add forty to fifty responses per character to add depth. So I will check this out. Thank you!

1 Like