installing Inform7 on Xubuntu 12.04.5 32-bit

I’m new to both Linux and Inform7 - I tried to install the command line version, and when I follow the super simple instructions for the command line version in the installation folder -

To install Inform 7 for Linux in /usr/local, from the directory in which
you found this README file, run:

./install-inform7.sh

If you want to install somewhere other than under /usr/local, invoke the
script with the --prefix option, e.g.:

./install-inform7.sh --prefix /home/dlebling

• the command line always gives me all these millions of error messages saying “Cannot mkdir: Permission denied” and “Cannot open: No such file or directory” - all the pages I find when I Google xubuntu installation stuff assumes I know more about the command line and installation processes than I do. Am I picking the right version of Inform7? Can somebody walk me through installation on 32-bit xubuntu 12.04.5 (Precise Pangolin)? Should I just install the windows version and use Wine? Is Inform7 even a good IF software for Linux users? I’m just so new to both Linux and IF that I have no idea where to begin. I don’t even know what to type into a search engine to find help.

Are you using the default path (i.e. installing it without any --prefix option)?

Yeah, I have no reason not to install it in /usr/local.

/usr/local/ is traditionally owned by root, so you might need to do

sudo ./install-inform7.sh

I think I might be having problems using the command line - I know that cd is first supposed to be used to get to the directory the files are in before installing them, but I don’t think I’m using it in the right syntax. The folder with all the installation files in it (inform7-6L38) is on my desktop.