Inform 7 v10.1.0 is now open-source

I installed a separate instance of the Windows IDE (…\inform_10). When doing so, the new spash works fine. Seems to run alright. though Windows Defender thought GLULXE.EXE was a trojan, which I reported as a false positive. I think the new interface looks nice! It compiled a copy of my fairly large project with only one issue. I used “I” as a variable, and that seems to be reserved now. After changing that everything compiled OK.

I’ll keep working in the old version for a bit but will probably keep testing with the compiler as I go.

1 Like

Good catch. It looks like 9.3/6M62 was okay with pronouns as global variable names except it, he, they, she. All of i, we, me, us, you, them, him, her, my, our, your, its, their, his were permitted. Of those, v10 allows only the unambiguous possessives: my, our, your, its, their, his. (Local variable name requirements are more lax.)

3 Likes

Thank you, David. I glanced at the menu, but I must have overlooked it.

1 Like

I have been using the VS Code on the RPi 4 and the command line version of I7. Works well. I7.10 is the first I have been able to use I7 on the RPi. I6 has been working for quite a while.

Thanks for all you do!

3 Likes

It’s nice to hear of another user! If you’re using I7 on the command line, then an update is not needed for you, I suppose.

I mainly need to updates the paths to the executables and the command line arguments when you compile a story from within VS Code with the play button the extension adds. (Inform 7 10.1 changed some things in that regard.)

5 Likes

For anyone else trying the new Mac IDE you can adjust the font size for the right pane in the preferences under editing then documentation font size. That changes the font on the right pane in both documentation and game play / story modes. I’ve dragged my documentation font size setting two more steps to the far right, which now gives me comparable sizes between the font in the left source pane and the font in the right story pane. I have suggested in the bug tracker that this preference’s application could be clarified in the IDE. It’s also a little confusing having it lurking within the “editing” tab …

The app’s dark/light etc. mode is under colour (“Colour Scheme”) in the Mac IDE preferences. But at the moment it isn’t applying to the right pane e.g. documentation or story mode. But it will change your source code pane.

2 Likes

Malwarebytes also did not like glulx.exe. Code should be signed maybe?

1 Like

This is probably the same detection as the Windows Defender one that Drew noted above: both he and I submitted a false positive report on that one to Microsoft.

The last time I looked into it, getting a code signing certificate as an individual developer was a nightmare, and I don’t intend to create a company just so I can get a certificate.

6 Likes

This is another why Linux, FreeBSD and all other opensource OS are the Right Choice…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

6 Likes

Digression to share some experience of code-signing:

The main author of PuTTY, Simon Tatham, has acquired a code-signing certificate as an individual (it was not possible to get one as an informal non-company team), but as I recall it was indeed quite a faff both on initial application and renewal (involving notaries and such), even with pretty good support from the certificate provider (who had reached out to donate the certificate). (Not to mention all the code-signing tooling, which I understand is pretty wretched to use, although PuTTY has its own peculiar requirements in that regard.)

Anyway, I mainly came here to say that code signing did not stop the false positives from AV software at all, so I don’t recommend going to the trouble of code-signing just for that reason. (There may be other good reasons.)

6 Likes

IFTF is in the process of getting code-signing certificates to use for the Twine application. When we get that sorted out we should be able to offer them for use for the Inform developers as well.

(It’s a nuisance on the Mac side too, although for different reasons. Toby Nelson and I both have individual-developer Mac certs.)

8 Likes

Ok, a more serious bug found in the Windows IDE. When I open an extension, the examples are truncated to one or two lines per example, and thus are rendered useless.

The IDE otherwise works very well.

2 Likes

I reported it to Malwarebytes and it’ll be fixed in the next update.

2 Likes

I think this is a probably the same problem that ADRIFT suffers. I’ve had Windows defender delete the Adrift exe.

I can guess what’s wrong here, clicking on the purple oval should open the example fully, but I can see why that is probably not working.

1 Like

Yeah, it just leads to a blank page.

Yeah, Jira can be tricky if you haven’t used it before. Actually, I have used it before, for years, and I still find it tricky :smile: .

I am having similar problems taming the (typically) right side of the Mac IDE. To that end, I wanted to provide an update to your issue report that has the issue number in it, so that others in our situation can find it more easily.

Appreciate the report.

2 Likes

Yup my bug report is number I7-2187. Hopefully you can add a comment in the bug system below that with your update.

It took me ages in the website to find how to report an issue. Tried umpteen pages. Not sure how I finally managed it. Not sure I’d ever manage it again if I tried :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Whoops, I wrote that post wrong. It should read “To that end, I wanted to provide an updated link to your issue report that has the issue number in it…”.

Your bug report doesn’t need an update :slight_smile:. I will watch it and see where it goes. Thanks.

1 Like

Inform 7 10.1.2 released along with an updated Windows IDE.

8 Likes