Inform 7 for a novice

Hello all i have managed to stumble here after messing around with inform for a bit. I wanna start by saying that i got into interactive fiction from playing rouge like rpgs on the game market and saw that rpgs in IF are not much different.

To make a point i wanna learn how to make a expansive side quest charged RPG and i do know how long that would take especially since i recently (couple months) started using inform 7. I have messed around a bit to figure out the gist of the language like the before, after, if commands, and things like that as well as using a single extension. But i feel as if there is only so much i can learn and get done alone is why i turned here.

So to be blunt i wanna ask you guys advice on how i should progress upon understanding and ultimately building this game.

I have heard people say that it depends on what your trying to do so i’ll list some ideas i have had.

standard stats like
strength (for attacking and possibly as a means to gauge if your strong enough to move something)
intelligence (for magic damage and possibly as a means of making certain puzzles easier)
luck (chance for a crit to happen as well as part of a formula that influences misses)
agility (chance for you to doge and possibly used as a means to navigate traps ‘dexterity can also be used instead of agility for me’)
perception (increases loot chance and possibly used to help with foraging for food)
charisma (shows how effective you are at talking with npcs and possibly influences special perks from npcs ie reduced price at shops)
hit points (your endurance)
magic points (your magic)
defense (part of a formula that reduces damage done from physical and magic attacks)
armor (wearable equipment that changes certain stats and also is restricted by layering on the body ie can not wear two sets of gloves)
hunger/thirst (determines how long before player character begins to starve causing damage to hit points when at 0 after some time)

i do not really have intentions on making multiple player choices when it comes to speech and actions however i may change that thought if i can afford to do it.
i plan to have hp and mp regenerate on its own on a turn by turn basis as well as put in random encounters along with a foraging option which functions like a random encounter but forced i think. maybe i would set it up as a separate pool of events focused on the food. I do want to learn about how to set up traps in specific rooms as well as making it so that players can disarm said trap if their agility’s up high enough for it. Magic attacks well also be a thing. i also forgot to mention the chance of hit/miss on the enemy and players side of things.

this is what i can think of off the top of my head right now but i’m sure there are a lot more details i could say but lets keep it simple. i do also notice i haven’t said a single bit of code here and that’s because well i don’t know how to do very much any of the things i just described i wanted to do.

also i do hope i’m posting this in the right form today is my first day here.

~Firedrive badge points 3

Look at the worked examples on the Inform 7 site, especially “The Reliques of Tolti-Aph”.

I would agree with Reliques, and also would like to suggest Victor Gijsbers’s ATTACK extension as a system for combat.

I think i might need a bit more help in understanding.

i have read tolti aph a bit through i can see how its working a bit. but i do get lost when they begin talking about the dice and rolls. like for instance 4d4, i have no idea what that means. forgive me haven’t played many table top rpgs. i play mostly video games.

i do understand the leveling though. i believe that i would use the score for an actual score and make another number value for experience.
let me not get ahead of myself. one of the things that confused me there was that strength seemed to be your health and magic but i think i get the gist of it.

as for the attack extension eh…it kinda flies over my head when i look at it i’ll most likely spend a lot of time with it. but what does it do is my current question? does it have anything to do with the die rolls?

XdY+Z means that you roll X Y-sided dice and add Z. So, for example, 2d6 means two normal (cube-shaped) dice, and 1d8+2 means one eight-sided die, plus two.

By the way, the nomenclature is defined in Chapter 1 - Fundaments, Section 1(b) - Dice of the Tolti-Aph source.

Generally, any time you run into unusual syntax like this, it’s defined in the source itself. (Or an extension included in it.)

hmmm i think i understand a little.

but i’d be lying if i said i knew exactly what is going on with the actual code. in tolti-aph.
i know usually your supposed to post a code tat your having problems with but my problem is i don’t know what the actual effects of all the code are. what i’m asking is a simple explanation from the beginning. not that i don’t value the help I’ve already received but i don’t know what exactly is going on in the code. i have also found the attack extension as well but the same thing is pretty much there.

would all my fears be resolved by going through the whole manual that comes with inform? i can’t shake the feeling that i’ll be learning everything but not getting to the point if i were to read it chapter by chapter.

I learned a lot by reading the Writing with Inform manual cover to cover, but I can’t speak for others. It feels like the kind of thing to really read chapter by chapter before just using it as a reference.

For now, I’d suggest starting with Chapter 1 and reading up until Chapter 11. That will teach you enough to make a basic IF. Once you feel you truly understand that much, continue as you wish.

The examples also help a lot by showing how this knowledge can be used, both the full games and the ones in the manuals. I’ll post an explanation of the relevant part of Tolti-Aph soon, which should help you get started.

If you don’t mind spending $20-30 (depending on what format you buy it in), you might want to check out Aaron Reed’s Creating Interactive Fiction with Inform 7. Unlike the built-in manual and recipe book, which are good for reference and short snippets, it teaches the language by walking through the construction of a full game.

Firedrive, which part of Tolti-Aph do you want help with, specifically? It’s hard to explain from the beginning because there are so many new systems (combat, magic, weapons, die rolls…).

If you just want to see how a game would work in I7, I can go through the start of Bronze line-by-line. That’s a much more traditional game.

It helps a lot. You may not understand how it all fits together, but at least when you run into a concept somewhere you’ll remember that it was in the manual.

for you draconis i would say the combat and magic.

but i think i’m just gonna go back and read the manual again for now see if i can find what i missed.

Okay, I’ll work on an explanation for that now.