Indigo New Language Speed IF

This is your last weekend to code your game that’s written in a new-to-you language, but I really don’t need them until Friday. So please send them to my gmail account by Friday afternoon Alaska time so I can see which ones are Floyd-accessible, and which ones can be hacked to be. (i.e. I may volunteer to painfully cut and past Undum text into the mud or something)

Thanks!

Is that Friday the 6th?

Yep, this coming Friday, the 6th. If I can figure out a way to share your game via ClubFloyd, I will - on Saturday the 7th, 2pm Eastern, on ifMUD. [emote]:D[/emote]

Apropos of this speed IF, I’m thinking of putting together an article on our experiences with new-to-us languages. Anyone who’s interested in sharing their thoughts from the experience of this speed, please send me your thoughts. I’ve sent SPAG a note to see if David’d like to run the article (no word back yet, but I think it’s worth writing regardless of whether or not SPAG accepts the article idea).

Of course, work on your INLS first. The thoughts can be turned in to me later, and can take whatever written format you’d like (bullet points, vague ramblings, formal essay, whatever). The deadline for the follow-up thoughts from our experience will kind of depend on whether or not SPAG accepts the article idea, my workload, things like that… but I think turning it into me sooner rather than later will mean your thoughts are fresh, and that’s a Good Thing.

Hope you’re enjoying your new language experience as much as I am. [emote];)[/emote]

OK, I’ve got my game submitted (it should run fine on Floyd, as it’s T3)
And even better, I’ll be off on Saturday the 7th, so I can participate in ClubFloyd (although I might run into computer issues when my game comes up (so I don’t die of embarrassment)

Thanks for organizing this!

Oh, I’m scribbling a few notes down for your article thingie, if they come out somewhat coherently, I’ll send them to ya…when do you want these by?

Soon enough that your thoughts on the experience are still fresh, but no rush. The next SPAG doesn’t come out for quite awhile, and while I’ll edit these together into a (hopefully interesting) article, I probably won’t be able to work on it until June due to work stuff I have going on. So, sooner is better for capturing your experience, but you’ll probably have forgotten all about this just in time to be surprised when you read about it in SPAG! Cool, huh?

Just a friendly reminder that tonight’s the last night to get your entry to Jacqueline. We will be gathering at the ifMUD, in the toyroom tomorrow afternoon to play these games together.

Hop on over to ifmud.port4000.com for information on how to join in on the fun.

Hope to see y’all there.

Indeed. Thanks, Gerynar!

Thanks to everyone who’s submitted their games already, and for those who have not (or to those who have last minute updates…): another few hours reprieve. Get them to me before, say, midnight Alaska time. I’ve had some stuff come up, so I won’t be dealing with the uploads until late tonight or tomorrow morning. So far it looks like we have some ADRIFT, TADS 3, and ALAN 3 stuff, which we can (mostly) play on Floyd, plus a couple of Undum games (which we can’t play on Floyd but I have three potential work-around ideas that I’ll float with the people who shop up for ClubFloyd tomorrow. 2pm Easter in the Toyshop on ifMUD, as usual.

• Jacq

I didn’t manage to make anything*, but I plan on being there to see what others created!

• Not because of my chosen new language, which was Inform 7, but because I found myself unable to come up with any ideas. That’s a bit depressing.

And an Inform 7 thing is right now beeing slapped out of bugs… well, almost, some of them I don’t even have a clue of how to deal with… but that was part of the fun of beeing a first-timer! [emote]:lol:[/emote]

Aw… there’s still time! Embrace the normal speed-IF constraint of 2 hours of work! Do something short and fun in that quirky style of yours that I love! (Or don’t… I do understand the whole Real Life thing. We’ll see you tomorrow, it sounds like… hooray!)

It’s not time that’s the issue. I actually gave up two weeks ago, if the timestamp on the inform file is to be believed. (See the edit in my previous post for the reason.)

Excellent! Yeah, I"ve had my share of bugs, too. Things that I swear worked just fine the other day now don’t work and I can’t see in the documentation how they possibly could have ever worked. Isn’t learning a new coding language fun?!

Oh, ah. Yeah, that’s a bummer. [emote]:?[/emote] See you tomorrow, though…

Awesome. With this extra time I may actually be able to make a thing that is somewhat complete from beginning to end with all choices making at least some sort of difference!

And finished. Ish.

There’s tons more I would have liked to have added, but I got a lot done today. Now I need to go collapse.

By popular request, I’ve added a download link for The Matter of the Monster. See eblong.com/zarf/if.html#matter .

Where can we get the rest of the games? They’re not yet on the Archive at this time.

At this moment my unpolished, non proofread (and it shows!), bug-infested “Haunted House” entry is temporaly available at megaupload.com/?d=M8O735RS . Hey! I love that sequence discovered at clubfloyd where you can leave from a bedroom carrying the bed… yohoo! [emote]:lol:[/emote]

All of the entries were quite interesting and I would like to take a closer look to Emily Short’s and Jaqueline’s works. Hope they will be also available soon.

Jacqueline tells me that Choicescript is now working on Floyd, which theoretically should mean that my game is now playable on there as well. But I have no idea exactly what sequence of commands will make that happen, and I’m about to become potentially very isolated starting tomorrow.