Including Source File Directory

I am experiencing a problem with TADS Workbench (Release HT-23) on Wine (Ubuntu is my OS). Because I want to include a file in multiple projects, I have been trying to add a directory to be searched for source files. When I open the project, I am told that the source file cannot be found but that if I find the file manually, the directory will be searched in future sessions. After adding the file I can see that the directory is listed under Tools > Options > Library Paths. However, this information is lost when I close Workbench; upon restart I am once again prompted to manually find the file.

I have tried to work around this by manually adding the directory using the -Fs option to the t3m file, but Workbench ignores this; I still have to manually find the file.

One thing I can do is specify the full directory of the source file. The problem with this is that even though the file ends up being included in the project, I still see the prompt, as though it was not included. What I would really like is to be able to start Workbench without getting the prompt.

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

Probably nothing. I don’t use Linux, but I’ve noted a few “edge case” problems when using Workbench on a Mac under Crossover. Your problem is different from mine, but it has a similar flavor.

If I were you, I’d just make several copies of the source file and park a copy in the base directory for each of your projects. Yeah, you have to make fresh copies each time you change the source file, but at least you shouldn’t get that annoying message each time you launch.

You should be able to make links instead of copies though. If symlinks don’t work (ln -s), try hardlinks (ln). That way all files will point to the same data.

To Jim: This also works on OS X, btw. The commands are the same (“ln -s” for symlinks, “ln” for hardlinks.)

Good to know. Thanks. In my experience with OS X, the things Workbench was consistently forgetting between sessions were the settings in the Options menu.

That is less than ideal, but it will work. It is not like my libraries require a lot of disk space anyway. Thank you for getting back to me, Jim!