IFComp 2024 planning to enter

I’m planning to, but I’m trying to get a programmer to help me: Looking for a Twine programmer for my IF Comp entry

1 Like

I think you might be referring to the patient.

1 Like

I started my 2024 entry shortly after (maybe even during) the 2023 judging period, wrote the opening, some characters, some stats… and haven’t touched it since.

However, I am now at peace with the fact that I work best with a really close deadline (this has happened MANY times) and pleased to announce that “Miss Duckworthy’s School for Magic-Infested Young People” is steaming ahead nicely. And with over a month to go! That’s LOADS of time. Which is why I’m planning on writing four completely different opening scenes/chapters lolol My fingers will start bleeding around August 20th…

Is now a good time to start apologising to my beta readers for getting it to them at the last possible minute (and then hovering anxiously until they give me feedback)?

13 Likes

I’m very curious what this year’s “detectives on ships” is going to be. (I think the general term is “claw-foot bathtubs” but I forget what year started that term.)

In other words, what’s the weird coincidence that’s going to end up connecting a dozen different games by accident?

11 Likes

When is the last possible date to submit a game into the competition?

1 Like

Look here:

https://ifcomp.org/about/schedule

3 Likes

Arthritic witches with pet penguins. Shall we start a pool?

5 Likes

If you want to enter, even if you’re nowhere near finished, make sure you submit an intent to enter as soon as possible. You can withdraw at any point, but you can’t submit an intent after July.

3 Likes

2019, I think?

2020 was wilder IMO though because three separate games included a peristyle as a location, which is an incredibly specific bit of classical Greek architecture - IMO way more obscure than the bathtub thing. It’s really fun to keep an eye out for coincidences like that!

6 Likes

Brb, replacing the veranda with a peristyle…

5 Likes

In 2002’s comp, there were three games containing a squid. Paul O’Brian called it out in one of his reviews. Seems like that kind of shared detail is as old as the hills.

5 Likes

In the 2011 IFComp, there were two games about a game of Australian tag: Six and It. As far as I’m aware they didn’t coordinate.

6 Likes

Nothing beats last year though. I mean, boaty detectives!

1 Like

I could definitely fit arthritic witches with pet penguins into my current story.

wanders off muttering quietly

4 Likes

…I’m Australian and unfamiliar with this game, so it’s clearly not a common thing.

I have consulted the resident expert (age 10) and he hasn’t heard of it either.

2 Likes

You might know it as tig, tiggy, chase… it has different names everywhere. Someone is “it” and chases everyone else until they catch someone, and then the person they catch has to chase. You might shout “no take-backs!” to stop them tigging your right back, or declare somewhere Home or Safe etc. where you can’t be caught.

Sound more familiar?

5 Likes

You know, years ago I was watching one of the commentaries for Fellowship of the Ring, and there was an extended anecdote about how the actors who played Merry and Pippin made up a Calvinball-esque game of tag to confuse Elijah Wood with – I remember they made up a rule saying that you can’t double-tig on a tag – and he thought it was real and then a year later was like “hey guys, how come we don’t play Tig anymore?” But I’m just realizing they were probably riffing on Australian tag when they made that up!

4 Likes

I’m familiar with tag and variations like “Hide and seek tips”. But “Six and It” specifically is unfamiliar to me.

2 Likes

Six and It were two games featuring tag.

5 Likes

Ah I see the misunderstanding. It didn’t help I’d muddled the exact game, as they were both more properly hide and seek variants.

Six is about Hide and Seek Tip:

Six - Details (ifdb.org)

And It is a hide and seek variant where one person is hiding and everyone else is seeking and have to squeeze in with the person when found:

It - Details (ifdb.org)

4 Likes