IFComp 2021: Where to put system requirements? The Blurb?

I’m working on a title that has been registered for this year’s IFComp, designed to play in a browser (a Twine variation).

It will work in most major browsers except Safari. Users on OSX or Apple devices can still play it, but they’ll have to use Chrome or Firefox.

I’m not sure where I should put this information in the Entry Page. Is adding it to the end of the Blub considered appropriate?

Yup, that’s where I’d expect to see that info - note that you can check out blurbs from previous years’ comps if you click on the “results” button on the IF Comp site, so you can see how folks have previously done stuff like this in case there are examples you like!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike!

I appreciate this is a bit off-topic, but do you know why it will not play on Safari?

My reason for asking - and why it is only slightly off-topic - is that I too have an entry also designed to play in the browser (though not Twine). Is there some JavaScript Safari cannot cope with but other browsers do? You have got me worried now…

The problem indeed arises from JavaScript, although not the fault of Twine/Sugarcube2. Rather, it was because of an extensive set of macros I created for this project. I did not have access to Safari for testing and made the unwise assumption that it was keeping current with the competition. I was wrong.

So it looks like Safari may possibly have some issues with current JavaScript. You could test your work on Browserstack to see whether it works on OSX/Safari or not.

Do you know what JS features are the sticking point?

Not yet. I’m going to have to pay a bit of $$$ to get Browserstack, or maybe LambdaTest to stay up long enough for me to figure it out.

I’ll report my findings back here.