IF works set in all fifty states: scavenger hunt?

Get Your Gun, Dragonfly takes place in Florida.

edit: Oops, looks like we already got Florida with Augustine. My bad.

3 Likes

No oops neede–it’s cool to have both twine and parser represented here.

1 Like

In some sense it’s just a coincidence. Jacq knew that national park; I was living in Research Triangle for job reasons. Stephen Granade also lived in Durham around 2000 – I think he had just finished up his PhD at Duke. I don’t know if he set any IF there, though.

Looks like @Norbez has Arizona covered with Arizona Craters.

2 Likes

FYI, David Welbourn says there is also an ifwiki page that has an (incomplete) list of games sorted by state.

Also, I hear Adventure has a strong sense of place. :slight_smile: (I also thought of Oregon Trail, but I don’t want to derail this into a discussion about whether Oregon Trail is IF).

2 Likes

I found it!

https://www.ifwiki.org/Games_by_American_State

I had trouble figuring how to update the state index e.g. we have Minnesota and Vermont, but nothing on the page let me edit the index, and I don’t know where else to look. Would/should this be branched off into the IF Wiki subforum?

There’s at least one game set in the White House / Washington DC if we are including that.

As a proud non-Chicagoan, I wonder how much representation Illinois has once the Windy City is removed. New York minus NYC is probably in a similar boat.

Maybe this is the motivation I need to finally do ECTOCOMP…

3 Likes

That’d be interesting. Yes, the rural/downstate areas would be trickier. Buffalo and Niagra falls come to mind as something New York without New York City.

New Jersey seems like it’s in a bit of a spot, though, for a rural setting.

It’s a really small game, but my ECTOCOMP 2019 entry “BE THERE!” is set in downtown minneapolis, Minnesota, and has very precise geography for that region.

4 Likes

I intended it to be set in the Texas Hill Country and described tons of native flora and fauna, so even though I never explicitly said “Howdy, you’re in Texas, y’all,” I would definitely consider it a Texas game.

4 Likes

I thought Choice of Robots had a few locations? It likely started in Boston, but I have a vague memory of setting up shop in Alaska or something, when it gave the player a choice of lab locations.

I could be remembering this completely wrong, though. I played this during some really hideous years of my life, so my brain has actually suppressed most of my memories from then, Choice of Robots included. I only remember the final quarter of my playthrough, and being absolutely emotionally destroyed for the rest of the night, because of the ending I got.

(Also, if anyone has not yet played Choice of Robots, then do not un-blur those spoilers. You have a duty to yourself to set aside an evening and do a playthrough. I don’t care how unlikely it is. You owe it to yourself, especially if you’re into sci-fi, robotics, and robot ethics. My post will still be here, once you come back.)

3 Likes

Okay, so I didn’t finish the game, because I was still getting used to Adv3Lite at the time, but I was working on a game that took place in rural Illinois. Obviously doesn’t count for this activity, but if I put a game there, then someone else probably has, too.

(Disclaimer: I grew up in Chicagoland, but my dad grew up on a farm in mid-Illinois, so he was my primary source for worldbuilding in this game lol)

4 Likes

That bit of Sting is technically on Long Island, FWIW.

I’m actually having a hard time thinking of IF set in NYC itself, oddly enough. There’s Amnesia in the mid-80s, and after that there’s - what?

It’s been almost twenty years since I played Narcolepsy, mirabile dictu, so I can’t remember if it’s set in Eugene, Oregon or if that’s just the protagonist’s name (Cadre I think lives or lived in that neck of the woods so seems plausible).

1 Like

I think Trinity has scenes in Nevada and New Mexico?

1 Like

The state index is a separate template here, but only Admins can edit templates.

Neil DeMause did Lost New York

2 Likes

Update for anyone following this: @Jonathan has now put the state index on the actual wiki page (instead of in a separate template), so any ifwiki user can edit the state index now.

2 Likes

Sunset over Savannah is set in Savannah, Georgia.

2 Likes

The Incredibly Mild Misadventures of Tom Trundle by @EpicIFer is set in a place inspired by the author’s hometown in Arkansas.

Not sure how this representation compares to that of the IFWiki’s single Arkansas game, The First Mile.

3 Likes