IF interpreter with embedded dictionary

HI. I’m new to the forum but I’ve been a fan of IF for over 25 years. I teach English as a foreign language and am starting to do some serious research into how IF can be used as a language learning tool. Iwas hoping someone could shed a light on the following questions- is there an interpreter that has a built in dictionary where words can be highlighted and its definition can be read - or even links to an online dictionary?. Can this even be supported by an interpreter, or would this need to be implemented in the game itself - has anybody tried doing this in Inform 7? I’ve searched high and low for the answers, but have not come up with any answers. Any help would be appreciated!

I have a feeling that your best bet here is to hook something into the Inform browser interpreters Parchment/Quixe. There’s another project, Vorple, that potentially could work for this too but that’s not released yet.

If you use an online interpreter on Firefox you can install Answers extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/addon/answers/) with which you can alt-click on any word and get its definition from answers.com.

I’ve looked into integrating the Answers plugin as a standard feature to Vorple, but unfortunately licensing issues might prevent this. Authors will be able to add it into individual games at least.

Hi. Thank you both for your suggestions! Yes, it seems that one of the web interpreters might be the way forward. Let’s wait and see.