IF Comp games are up!

Thank you for doing this!

3 Likes

What a nice set of new games! Congrats to all participants and thank you for your games. It really feels like opening Christmas presents :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What a big bag of treats this year’s batch is!

I’m very happy to see a lot of SF. My brain has been hungry for futuristic nourishment the last couple of weeks, I’ve been rereading some old collections of short SF stories and I got the fourth and fifth installment of The Expanse novels from the library this week.

Glad that I can complement this static fiction with some SF IF.

I’ve started with downloading a bunch of the big parsers. We’ll see how it goes from there on. I’ve already said elsewhere that I planned to divert most of my judging energy to EctoComp this year, but … so many goodies… -wipes drool from chin-

Happy IFComp everyone!

7 Likes

Thank you autumn! That’s so lovely

4 Likes

What is the best way to inform the author about bugs found if there is no contact from the game and the info?

(Yes, FLACrabbit, I mean you!)

2 Likes

Seeing this was a great way to start the day :smiley:
Looking forward to digging in. Good luck to all, and thanks for the games!

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to report a bug - I really appreciate it. You can just send me a direct message here.

6 Likes

I’ve already picked out a bunch of interesting games I want to play, super excited!

3 Likes

Oh, that’s awesome, and a good reason for taking a little extra time given the work that must involve in the few days between submission and when the Comp goes live! I’m not actually sure how many folks do the download-all thing these days, but since that was the way things were when dinosaurs ruled the earth that’s always been my habit. No big deal to do them one by one until the mega-download is available, though, and the benefits to posterity of including the externally-hosted games are definitely worth it.

Yay, thanks for doing that!

5 Likes

I was looking at your programmatic uploader, and you wrote there:

There are different pipelines that use either selenium or the putific API; the API does not seem to be working on ifdb.org, so I’m using selenium right now.

It’s news to me that the API isn’t working. Is there a bug you can report? Does the API not work at all for you?

1 Like

I made a post about it: Using IFDB's putific API

I can add a github issue later if that’s helpful.

1 Like

The Big Zip is up on the site and available for download here. Thanks for your patience, folks!

@chlorine @Jade @DeusIrae @vivdunstan

11 Likes

The IF Archive page is now up:

https://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/games/competition2022/Games/

We’ve organized this folder a bit differently this year. The folder contains zipped-up game packages, rather than unpacked game directories. You can use the “View contents” link to look inside. For web-playable games, there will be an “Open” button to launch the game in your browser.

There will certainly be hiccups with this new system. (I see some duplicate directories, for a start.) Just let us know and we’ll fix problems as we go.

(Note: None of this matters if you’re playing off the IFComp web site. I’m describing what happens if you come in through ifarchive.org.)

3 Likes

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Many thanks from me too! :star_struck:

I spent some time this week investigating how to compute the download links for all of the IFComp games. Sadly, IFDB doesn’t have an API for creating download links.

I’ll work on that later (probably well after the competition closes?), but, in the meantime, I did write a script that can automatically compute the correct download link for every game. I’m hoping that maybe a good samaritan or two here will use the attached spreadsheet to add a proper download link to each page.

If you wanna work on it, here’s what you’d do:

1. Copy and paste the “IFDB Link” into a browser tab. That will take you directly to the “Edit Details” page for the game.
  2. Scroll down to the “Download Links” section and click the “Add Link” button.
  3. Copy and paste the “Download URL” into the “URL” box.
  4. Copy and paste the “Download Title” into the “Title” box. (You can leave the Description blank.)
  5. Check the “This is a playable game” box.
  6. Select the “File Type” listed in the spreadsheet in the “File Type” dropdown.
  7. Under “Compression” select “ZIP”
  8. Copy and paste the “Main File” into the “Main File” box on the bottom. (Or leave it blank, if it’s blank in the spreadsheet.)

With that done, there will be a working download link for the game, and if there’s a “Main File” specified, there will also be a “Play On-line” button on IFDB, which is cool.

I dunno. If nobody does it, maybe I’ll do them all by hand in a few weeks, but…

2 Likes

I wound up writing a script to set the download links, after all. Now all of the IFComp games have “Play Online” buttons pointing to IF Archive (except for the ones that don’t even have “Play Online” buttons on the IFComp ballot).

3 Likes

Thanks for creating this script. But FYI, if there was one, it seems to remove the profile link for the authors. I changed mine. I noticed a few other authors changed theirs. It’s a great script allowing Frotz iOS to download the games. I just thought I’d let you know.

Same here. It reverted the edit I had made about the author link to my profile.

Oops, sorry! I’ve now fixed the bug in my script that did that, and I manually went through and restored all of the author profile links that had author profile links.

3 Likes