IF Comp 2013 predictions

Hmm. I thought I had seen somebody comparing Imposter Syndrome’s Wall-O-Links to a maze, but that MAY have just been in my own head. Nevertheless, if it IS a maze, it’s a very very short one, with many many dead ends. In other words, hardly maze-like at all.

However, OOxF did get a mention for a maze…

emshort.wordpress.com/2013/10/14 … oxen-free/

Now, when I played, the section that could be construed as a maze went very smoothly and easily for me, and I’m not sure if it could go any other way, as long as you keep the layout of the school in mind, and know what you want the kid to do.

Nevertheless, I would call it a maze. It certainly wasn’t “much derided”, though. Definitely not as much as Tex’s.

Nope:

Probably not:

Sort of:

Hell yes:

I think Sam and Leo may have been a confessional memoir.

And Paper Bag Princess is a modern fairytale, isn’t it?

They fled into the niche of Ectocomp.

Okay, “Autumn’s Daughter” seems to be more a western approach to Pakistani Islam.

I was thinking of a fairytale with a modern setting, which is why I missed it - but you’re right, it’s a fairytale with decidedly modern concerns. One more in the win column!

‘Arabian nightmare’ is a trope to do with layers of narrative:

(Or, alternatively, the Little Harmonic Labyrinth in Godel, Escher, Bach, in which Achilles and the Tortoise never resolve the outermost frame-story.)

Also, Pakistan isn’t Arabian by any stretch of the imagination. (Neither are the Arabian Nights, of course.)

Actually, “Arab” refers to western Asia and northern Africa. Pakistan, throughout its history, has had a number of Arab rulers. To say “by any stretch of the imagination” is a bit hyperbolic. [emote]:ugeek:[/emote]

Final Girl is most definitely horror.

Well, ‘Arab’ refers to an ethnic, cultural and linguistic category, not a region. Pakistan has, as you say, had considerable Arabic influence - but by that standard, England is Italian.

I’ll cheerfully concede that ‘any stretch of the imagination’ is an ill-chosen phrase, though, since evidently someone could imagine it.

9Lives has an epigraph which is also a misattribution, like most readily comprehensible sayings that get ascribed to the Buddha.

Oh geeze. Can’t believe I missed that one. I was concentrating on the edge cases too much.

You are definitely right.

“Autumns Daughter” is a good example how not to generate consternation. I like “Döner”, culinarian stuff of Turkish People in Berlin (Germany) that I like as much as you eventually like thickened Chinese soup in America. The more you go to south eastern Asia the more runs you have from chilli. I learned it has a practical sense due to a lack of toilet paper, in this way a story would convey some experience. “Autum Daughter” has no such cultural feelings so it didn’d arrive my mind. But it want’s to be an “Arabian nightmare”, in an even aim.

Pakistan has a very strange islam history, it’s a point of view if they are Arabs or not. They are mainly islams, they live in an alien culture and so they are interesting in some way for us. It’s not a really good game, but it maintains a really good subject.