I7 with Patrollers extension v10 by Michael Callaghan

hey, when i set someone as “following”, i get this run-time error:

*** Run-time problem P60: Attempt to set a variable to the wrong kind of object:
you wrote ‘now the Way is the best route from the CurrentRoom to the location of
the player, using even locked doors’, which sets the value to nothing - but that
doesn’t have the kind ‘direction’.

any ideas?

I didn’t look at the extension, but apparently in your game there is no way from CurrentRoom to location of the player. So “best route from the CurrentRoom to the location of the player” evaluates to nothing, and you cannot set the “way” variable to nothing.

First possible solutions: make sure there always is a route between the location of any patroller and the location of the player.

Second (and better) possible solutions: find the line “now the Way is the best route from the CurrentRoom to the location of the player, using even locked doors’” and change it into

if the best route from the CurrentRoom to the location of the player is a direction: now the Way is the best route from the CurrentRoom to the location of the player, using even locked doors;
In fact, if that line is in the extension, I think you should send this suggestion to Michael Callaghan. (His extension should check whether the declaration is allowed before doing it.)

thanks a ton for the reply! forgive me, i forgot to mention that i did search for that line of code, if its anywhere, its in the extension’s code, but i cant seem to go in and change it, even though i know ive altered extensions before. thanks!

What prevents you from going in an change it? You can open the extension in the Inform IDE (File > Open Extension) and then edit it. You can also open the file directly (with notepad in Windows, gedit in Linux, or, uh, I-don’t-know in OS X). It should be in your Inform directory and then in Extension/Michael Callaghan.

I have a problem when including the Patrollers extension in my game. Even with nothing defined from the extension - just including it in the file - I get the following

Problem. The sentence ‘To depart is a verb’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘To depart’ and ‘verb’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other: it would be like saying that ‘Antony is Cleopatra’. It would be all right if the second thing were the name of a kind, perhaps with properties: for instance ‘Alexandria is a lighted room’ says that something called Alexandria exists and that it is a ‘room’, which is a kind I know about, combined with a property called ‘lighted’ which I also know about.

Problem. The sentence ‘To come is a verb’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘To come’ and ‘verb’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other: it would be like saying that ‘Antony is Cleopatra’. It would be all right if the second thing were the name of a kind, perhaps with properties: for instance ‘Alexandria is a lighted room’ says that something called Alexandria exists and that it is a ‘room’, which is a kind I know about, combined with a property called ‘lighted’ which I also know about.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? I’m very new to Inform so apologies if this has a simple answer.

Are you using the latest version of Inform, version 6L02? Those look like errors you’d get if you used a 6L02 version of an extension in 6G60 – in 6G60, you weren’t able to define verbs except to represent relations, so Inform 6G60 didn’t understand what “is a verb” meant. You could update your version of Inform or, if that’s not feasible, grab an older version of the extension that’s compatible with 6G60.