[I7] The Muffin Man

Nine times out of ten, when I think I’ve found either a bug or a bit of Inform that I don’t understand, I write an example to post here, and in the process of writing the example I figure out what I was doing wrong.

This always makes me a little sad, because I try to make my examples cute, and this wastes the effort. Of course, making my examples cute means I’m making them less minimal than they should be to be ideal examples. But that’s only because I’m a bad person.

This example has no problems. I thought it did. I was wrong. But dammit, it’s cute.

[code]“The Muffin Man”

The Kitchen is a room. “Gleaming stainless-steel and ruthless science collide in this, your temple of culinary achievement. An exit leads north.” Rule for printing the name of the Kitchen: say “Utility Muffin Research Kitchen”.

The muffin is here. The description of the muffin is “It’s a muffin of your own design.” Instead of taking the muffin, say “You’ve positioned it far too nicely to mess with it further. Time to put the icing on it.”

The player carries a fully-charged icing anointment utensil. The description of the utensil is “Your piping bag is fully-charged with icing.”

Understand “icing bag” and “pastry bag” and “piping bag” and “canvas snoot” and “sterile canvas snoot” and “snoot/bag/icing” as the utensil.

The can’t put onto what’s not a supporter rule is not listed in the check putting it on rulebook.

Check putting it on:
if the noun is the utensil and the second noun is the muffin, end the game in victory instead;
if the second noun is not a supporter, say “Nah.” instead;

Volume of Things That Work Just Fine

The Break Room is north of the Kitchen. “The only exit leads south.”

A dummy is here. It is fixed in place. The dummy can be hostile. The dummy is hostile. The description of the dummy is “The words I HATE YOU are stencilled across the front of the dummy. Because it hates you. And because you stencilled them there. Because it hates you.”

Understand “Wail on [something]” as attacking when the muffin is not touchable and the dummy is hostile. [this works cleanly with the two conditions …]

Understand “Hate [something]” as attacking.

Instead of attacking the dummy, say “You wail on the dummy for a while, making it hate you more.”

Volume of the Code I Mistakenly Thought Wasn’t Working

Understand “ice [something] with [other things]” as putting it on (with nouns reversed) when the muffin is touchable and the dummy is hostile.[/code]

This example does too have a problem. Why the hell isn’t the location Drury Lane?

(I asked my wife how many times I’ve sung this song in the last week, and she just laughed.)

Matt missed the Zappa reference, evidently.

–JA

Though in fairness, I could have touched on both muffin men at once. Next bug or non-bug …

(and if Adam Thornton were to listen in, it suddenly becomes also a James Beard joke, since James Beard was the anti-muffin man)

Now this puzzles me.

Why don’t you use – the printed name of the Kitchen is “Utility Muffin Research Kitchen” – ?
Are they different one from the other?

Am I missing something?

(— I’m serious.)

To my (very, very limited) knowledge, it’s six of one.

But I can’t emphasize enough that I don’t actually know what I’m talking about when it comes to any matter of actual I7 … stuff.

I mean: you used “Rule for Printing the name etc” instead of “the printed name of the kitchen is etc”. Is there a reason? Or is it just the same?

Yes, exactly. See prior post.

See prior post.

Oh, ok. Lol!

:slight_smile:

NB, “six of one” = “six of one, half a dozen of the other” = “it doesn’t matter.”

(Thought that might be an idiom that’s a little hard to puzzle out if you’re not a native speaker.)

D’oh! Good call. Lookit me, I’m writing my own baseball-diamond puzzles, here :slight_smile:

Just to be nitpicky: I’ve always heard “whale on” as a synonym for attacking, and think of “wail on” as something that’s only done with shoulders.

I’m far from an expert on this, but I’ve never seen “whale on” at all.

Yeah, I was about to say. It makes sense, too. If you wail at someone, they’ll be disturbed, frightened at the most. Conversely, a few solid whacks with a huge marine mammal would definitely qualify as full-blown assault.

I don’t know, it might just be a fluke. On the other hand, it might seal the fate of the one being attacked.

Isn’t whaling now banned by international treaty?

Robert Rothman

All of you are wrong. It’s “wale”.

O Waly Waly (Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears)

Wail, Whale, and Wale are each as correct (or incorrect) as anyone wants them to be.

“Wale” is the more historical version, slowly edging into archaism. “Whale” is favored by most modern dictionaries (though not all). “Wail” has been colloquial for at least a couple of decades (which makes it my natural choice, but not everyone’s).

Best joke of the thread :slight_smile:

Rothman, you’ll rue the day you upstaged me.