[I7] Spacing issue

So while trying to make a simple through-line, I run into a weird issue.

The Graveyard is a room. The grave is here. 
For printing a locale paragraph about the grave: say "Meep."

Before printing a locale paragraph about the grave: now the grave is mentioned.
The coffin is in the Graveyard. 

Test me with "get coffin/drop it/look".

Apparently, taking and dropping the coffin causes the “you-can-also-see” text to be printed without whitespace between it and the locale paragraph. This persists throughout the game, and oddly, it seems to have nothing to do with the “handled” property.

I have dim recollections that this is a known bug, but I just can’t seem to find it. Does anyone know what’s happening here?

This is interesting. I’m seeing something odd here in the tracing:

[...]
[Rule "Before printing a locale paragraph about the grave" applies.]
[Rule "For printing a locale paragraph about the grave" applies.]
Meep.
[Rule "don't mention player's supporter in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "don't mention scenery in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "don't mention undescribed items in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "set pronouns from items in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "offer items to writing a paragraph about rule" applies.]

[Rule "use initial appearance in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "describe what's on scenery supporters in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "describe what's on mentioned supporters in room descriptions rule" applies.]
[Rule "you-can-also-see rule" applies.]
You can see a coffin here.

[Rule "check new arrival rule" applies.]
[...]

So it seems that, by default, something in the vicinity of the offer items to writing a paragraph about rule prints a line break, but that this is not true after changing (?) the world state.

I’m going to check some more, but one thing is clear so far: some reason, before we’ve taken the coffin, the offer items to writing a paragraph about rule runs a total of four times (so eight in total). This happens two times for each object. The second time, it runs only two times (four in total).

I haven’t dug into this particular sequence. But I7 likes to insert a line break when it switches rulebooks, even if the rulebook has no printing behavior. The offer items rule invokes the writing a paragraph about activity, so that counts.

I think this is “intended behavior” in that it inserts a line break between written paragraphs – which is how we expect paragraphs to work.

To the original question: again, I haven’t dug into it. I suspect the answer is setting mentioned at an unexpected time. The expected way to do this to use the writing a paragraph about activity instead:

For writing a paragraph about the grave:
	now the grave is mentioned;
	say "Meep."

Thanks, zarf. That did the trick.

That still seems like a bug that has nothing to do with my setting mentioned. Observe:

For printing a locale paragraph about the grave: say "Meep."

which results in this output:

Graveyard
Meep.

You can see a grave and a coffin here.

> test me
(Testing.)

> [1] get coffin
Taken.

> [2] drop it
Dropped.

> [3] look
Graveyard
Meep.
You can see a coffin and a grave here.

>

I know this is an old post, but I think the answer here was that there is not necessarily a bug: The problem may be caused by using the wrong activity.

I think that the activity you want to use in this case is the writing a paragraph about activity instead of the similarly named printing a locale paragraph about activity.

[For printing a locale paragraph about the grave (this is the meep grave rule): say "Meep."] [wrong activity]
For writing a paragraph about the grave (this is the meep grave rule): say "Meep."	[right activity]

produces

Graveyard
Meep.

You can also see a coffin here.

>test me
(Testing.)

>[1] get coffin
Taken.

>[2] drop it
Dropped.