[I7] Recreating part of Zork for a prologue, need advice

The spacing works as intended for me. How are you producing the “Unfortunately, sleep paralysis…” text? That might be the culprit.

Using the room description value.

[code]Bedroom is a room. The description of Bedroom is “[if the player is in bed][first-bed][end if][if the player is in bed]Unfortunately, sleep paralysis currently grasps you in its clutches, rendering you with only the ability to look around[otherwise]You’re glad that you’re not in the bed anymore, but your back hurts[end if]. You don’t recognize this room; the constantly flickering [light] fixture and the large wooden [desk] with absolutely nothing on it, for instance, wouldn’t exactly be the furniture choices you would make. [if the player is in the bed]Alas, you still have to get out of your [bed] at some point; you might as well do that while you’re still mentally alert[otherwise]Your [bed] stands in the far corner of the room[end if].”.

To say first-bed:
say “[first time]You blink yourself awake from a dream you can’t remember too well (other the fact that you saw a white house[if Kitchen was visited], someone’s kitchen,[end if][if Living Room was visited], someone’s living room,[end if] and a mailbox with a leaflet you read, and that you were knocked out cold for some reason). [only]”.
[/code]

Yes, I see what you mean. Try deleting the “say line break” and see what happens.

Edit: no, sorry, actually I don’t see; I just read your earlier post again. I’m getting an extra line break when Prologue is happening, and not when it isn’t. I think that’s the behaviour you wanted, isn’t it? If you’re getting something different, there must be some difference in our code.

You’ve been posting snippets, and I’ve been putting them together in my own way; it would be better to post a full compilable program showing the problem. (Preferably cut down as much as possible, so we just have the essential code.)

I’ve zipped the .inform and .materials of the game in the file attached.
Narrative Lines.zip (1.04 MB)

I want a single line break before the command prompt in both instances.

The problem isn’t with the new looking rule; it’s that the scene isn’t ending when you want it to.

First of all, try changing the ending condition:

Prologue ends when the location is Bedroom.

Your code “the player is in Bedroom” doesn’t work, because “in” here means “immediately in”. When the player is in the bed, it doesn’t trigger, even though the bed is in Bedroom.

But there’s still a hitch; the scene change mechanism doesn’t work until after the first room description in Bedroom is printed, because that happens as soon as you move the player. So the first room description in the bedroom will be wrong, although after that it will come right. To fix it, replace the statement “move the player to the bed” in your examining the leaflet rule with this:

move the player to the bed, without printing a room description;
follow the scene changing rules;
try looking.

This delays the first “look” until after the scene change. I think it should solve the problem.

Alright, the Prologue is finally finished! Thank you, I truly appreciate the help.

You’re welcome!

You may want to give the Prologue room descriptions some fairly rigorous testing. I’m not confident those hacked rules will work perfectly in all conditions.