I7 Glulx: Roguelike-style save & restore

Not working here either, using Firefox and Chromium under Ubuntu.

Found the bug. You defined a phrase “To decide whether … exists as a saved game”, but you forgot to call it. You’re calling the standard “whether … exists” phrase. :slight_smile:

(Explanation for onlookers: the standard phrase checks whether “savegame.data” exists, rather than “savegame.save”. Quixe doesn’t use filename suffixes exactly, but it has an equivalent mechanism. However, it looks like the IDE doesn’t distinguish files using suffixes at all – which is legitimate – so it winds up finding the save file accidentally.)

I also noticed that you forgot to invoke the “automatically saving the game” activity.

100% correct on both counts! Gargoyle also does not use file extensions, which is probably why the code worked there too. I need to work on reminding myself that some interpreters are more permissive than others. Once I see that code works in two interpreters, my blinders seem to come down and I assume that the code is not the problem–even when I ought to know from experience that this is not necessarily the case. Probably I should be doubly wary with Sunday-afternoon side-project code…

I’ve updated the attachment to the original post to include these fixes, as well as the code for deleting savegame files.

Re Quixe: At least on Firefox 5 (OS X), automatic restore works only with games that are played over the internet, not with games where you play from your local hard drive (that is, where the URL begins with file://). I’ve updated the Quixe test file to use the new code.

Thanks for the help, Zarf!

–Erik