(I7) Alternatives to the Ignore Phrase

Hello,

I don’t want to use the ignore phrase, and all procedural rules, since they are depricated. However, it seems as though the ignore phrase would be useful. The documentation says there are ways around using it, but I can’t think of a good alternative to the phrase when I need to ignore just one rule. Can anyone suggest an appropriate alternative to the ignore phrase?

Neil

Usually you’ll want to replace the rule in question (‘the X rule is listed instead of the Y rule in the Z rulebook’) and make the replacement rule identical to the original one… except under the particular circumstances you’re interested in.

Or, if you don’t need a replacement for the rule: The Y rule is not listed in any rulebook. Very few rules get listed in more than one rulebook; but, in case you are dealing with a rule that should stay in one rulebook but not in others, use: The Y rule is not listed in the Z rules.

A couple of useful phrases for replicating the effect of procedural rules are

The X rule is listed instead of the Y rule in the Z rulebook.

and

(anonymously) abide by the Y rule.

The first one lets us substitute a new rule for an existing one, while the second allows the new rule to fall back to the old one. For example, here’s how to reimplement the “Access All Areas” example from the Inform Manual without procedural rules:

"Access All Areas" 

The extremely difficult door is north of the Standing Room and south of the Room of Walking Upside Down. It is a locked door. 

The player is carrying the Pointy Hat of Liminal Transgression. The hat is wearable. 

The can't go through closed doors without the hat rule is listed instead of the can't go through closed doors rule in the check going rulebook.

Check an actor going (this is the can't go through closed doors without the hat rule):
	if the actor does not wear the Hat, anonymously abide by the can't go through closed doors rule. 

Test me with "n / wear hat / n".