I6 weird answers to actions referred to "all"

First of all, sorry if this has been mentioned before elsewhere!

I’ve read about fixes made in earlier versions of I6 libraries concerning adequate answers to actions like “get all” or “put all” in or on something. Now I see unexpected answers with actions as “drop” or “examine”

For example, “drop all” seems to work fine untill you try to do it when you aren’t actually carrying anything. Under such circumstance I would expect an answer similar to “You’ve got nothing to drop” or “You’re carrying nothing”, but library seems to get confused in a weird way: if there are no objects at current location it will try to “drop yuorself” (which you lack the required dexterity to do :slight_smile: ) and if there are other objects in the same room it will understand that you are trying to put your belongings “in” something and will ask you exactly where.

Incidentally, earlier versions of the I6 spanish translation made a workaround for this with a little hack to message 44 of the miscellany action. It worked nice in 6.10 but, for some reason, seems to be broken in current spanish 6.11 library.

In a similar vein, “examine all” warns you that “examine” is not meant to be used with “all” when you use it in the presence of any object, but it will describe yourself if you are in an empty room.

Is that meant to work that way or is it some unexpected behaviour?

It’s expected. The parser tries to construct a list of referred-to objects first, and then invokes the action on the result. If the only object in scope is yourself, then “drop all” invokes “drop me” – there’s no special check that could lead to a “you’ve got nothing to drop” message.

You can probably get around this with a ChooseObjects routine.

Doesn’t work, actually. ChooseObjects only breaks ties in the list of referred-to objects.