I6: Default messages for Drink and Dig do not seem appropriate

I don’t fully understand the logic of the default messages for the verbs Drink and Dig. The messages are:
For Dig: “Digging would achieve nothing here.”
For Drink: “There’s nothing suitable to drink here.”

Why “here”? The grammar for these verbs always acts on a noun:

Verb 'dig'
 * noun -> Dig;

Verb 'drink'
 * noun -> Drink;

It would be right if we had that:

Verb 'dig'
 * -> Dig
 * noun -> Dig;

Verb 'drink'
 * -> Drink;
 * noun -> Drink;

Maybe it would be interesting to have this grammar and two different messages: if there is a noun or not.

Unless I didn’t understand anything about it!

These responses mean that it makes no sense to perform those actions right now in this place.

There are not many differences between eating and drinking, and yet the messages are very different.
So “here” means the place where the player is but it does not include what is in the inventory (there may not be anything drinkable in the place but there may be some in the inventory.)

So what’s in the inventory is not here!

Probably that, like as for the default message of yes and no, is a rhetorical question.
But I am wise and good so I give reason to you.

In everyday usage, marching someone to a place and saying “Dig!” is understood to mean “dig the ground.” So it makes sense for the command to default to “dig current room” in game parlance. Note that it’s always possible to dig - lacking other tools, you can always use your bare hands. Consequently the default message implies that while you may dig, there is no reason to do so.

But you wouldn’t march someone to a random place and say “Drink!” – you would always march them to a specific feature, since water (unlike “ground”) is not omnipresent.

I think the differences between the eating and drinking messages are historic: old adventure games had a “hunger daemon” as standard, so authors knew the players would be going around looking for things to eat. Consequently an atomistic “The (noun) isn’t edible” is fair, while saying “There’s nothing to eat here” might discourage a player from trying to eat the wall-fungus or whatever the solution to the hunger puzzle was at that point. I don’t believe any game had a “thirst daemon,” and so the standard thirst message was more of a blanket “don’t bother.”

Of course, the joy of writing your own game is that if you’re irritated by something, you can change it!

Thank you for the quality of your answer. The French translation of your message, by the automatic translator, is surprising; there is not a word to change!

[Your score has just gone up by one point.]

With the current grammar, you can’t just dig; you have to dig something or in something. This something must be present in the game.

It’s an amusement and there’s no reason to be irritated.

Thanks.

2 Likes