I want to get into game designing, where should I start?

Guncho is open source, so if you want to use it for a commercial game, you could run your own instance of it and charge for access.

That’s true. I was thinking that it wouldn’t work well for Steam, etc., but just running off your own website is another matter.

About that multiplayer thing, I meant another NPC not actual players.

Also this whole thing is not going the way I want it to go. I am basically just slightly changing the free examples I find online and this is not really what I want to do. Do you guys think it would make more sense to learn a language like python first? Now I don’t really remember if I asked this already, if I did I am sorry about that, if I haven’t, what language would you recommend? What language do people use in inform7? Or which one is the closest to it?

Inform 7 has its own scripting language, which doesn’t really look or behave like anything else in common use.

Some totally valid I7 code:

Among the Redwoods is a room. "The trees tower up higher than you ever could have imagined, with equally long shafts of sunlight lancing between their trunks to dapple the ferns underfoot."

A towering tree is in Among the Redwoods. A towering tree is scenery. Understand "trees", "redwood", and "redwoods" as a towering tree. The description of a towering tree is "There's no way you could climb this titanic tree."

A curling fern is in Among the Redwoods. A curling fern is scenery. Understand "ferns" as a curling fern.

The important thing is to remember that I7 is not English, and is in fact a programming language. If you try to put anything you want into it, you will fail, because the syntax (while English-like) is extremely strict.

I wrote a quickstart guide for people learning Inform 7, and you can find it at sibylmoon.com/welcome-to-adventure/.

1 Like

I am not a game programmer, but what I’d do if I was in your situation would be to see which games I liked, and then look up what development system those games use on the IFDB, and then learn that one.

ifdb.tads.org/

Like anything worth pursuing in life, it is going to take time and dedication to achieve. Good luck!

Let me barge in here with a seemingly extemporaneous question, DönkeyKöng:

What do you want to achieve?
What kind of story do you want to tell?
What mechanics do you envision?

I humbly suggest you start by having a sit down and trying to answer these questions (yes, trying. Trying is hard enough. You might find you don’t know for sure. Happens to me all the time. Don’t get exasperated. Think about it. Give yourself some time to think it over. No, really. Find some examples of games similar to what you want to do, then investigate them.)

Once you really know what you want to do, then you can start searching what system, language, engine or software is the right one for your specific goals.

I’ve been through that. I still am.