I need recommendation for friendly non-archaic IF

It is always possible to progress in Lost Pig. Of course you might not know how, in a given situation.

OK, so by ‘not very hard’ do you mean ‘most puzzles can be solved immediately upon encountering them’? There are lots of games like that, but many of them are likely to conflict with this:

Puzzles are a pacing method, so games where all the puzzles can be quickly solved tend to be more fast-paced and less open-worldish. In a game that’s calm and methodical, getting stuck on something within the first 15 minutes is to be expected.

I get what you mean, I was thinking maybe games where the pacing is created by reading descriptions and interacting with the environment. Games that are about exploring and learning. A game can have a large open world if the game is about learning about that world, and that is the reward in itself.

Lots of good suggestions here, I’ll be bookmarking this thread too…been lurking awhile trying to get back into IF. I hate to admit it but I haven’t actually played anything written in the last couple of years, so some of these are completely new to me.

City of Secrets is usually my first recommendations to new players. The few puzzles are simple ones, but you feel like your choices matter and the atmosphere and details of the setting really draws you in.

For some really fun but not too difficult puzzles, try Violet.

Having read through this thread, I want to recommend my game Six (anew, once kindly plugged by Joey.)

Apart from not being difficult, I feel like it’s one of the most modern, or anti-archaic, recommendation in terms of its desire to understand player intention. It is very hard to get stuck on the parser in this game, or to not get helpful feedback. It can intimate what you want from a single verb based on the context. It can also work out a long sentence if that’s the way you try to address a puzzle. I tried to make something that rubs off a lot of the parser’s rougher edges that (we) experienced players still find more acceptable. This is a direction I’d like to see more games go in.

ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=kbd990q5fp7pythi

-Wade

Any chance of a source release? I’d be interested in seeing what you did in that direction.

Bizarrely that thought popped in my head just this morning. Well, probably not super bizarrely, given I wrote that post yesterday. But one thought from me plus at least one interested party is often grounds to do something in this pint-sized community, so you’ve got me thinking about it!

-Wade

All Roads by Jon Ingold is really great and really easy. Like Maga pointed out, since there’s not much in the way of puzzles it tends to play very quickly. Still, it sticks out in my mind after many years.

I really enjoyed The Terrible Doubt of Appearances from Introcomp 2014. The satirical take on Victorian culture was very unique, and fun/ny. Wonderful writing in that one. It is from Introcomp, so it is not finished, but don’t let that stop you. allthingsjacq.com/IntroComp1 … pearances/

Another good one from Introcomp is Going Down, which is a choice game.

Do you prefer parser or choice games?

Edit: I don’t know why I thought this thread was newish. Oh well!

you and 99% of IF enthusiasts

IF is really like java or poetry: write once, play nowhere

There is at least one other way to make A Flustered Duck unwinnable.

Giving the pie to Peter Profundis before receiving the blindfold.

Winter Wonderland by Laura Knauth would be another good choice I think. It is a fairly recent old style puzzlefest but with a definite goal to reach. No time limits, as far as I can recall it’s impossible to put the game into an unwinnable state and fairly straightforward to map as it’s not too sprawling. It’s also impossible to kill yourself which is unusual in these types of IF.