How's your day/project going today?

The trans representation game jam sounds pretty cool! The time also overlaps with the trans gal jam, so I hope there will be more submissions to both. I have an idea which might or might not end up being made…

I haven’t been working on my IF projects lately, largely due to real life stuff (about to be done with grad school… soon-ish), but also partly due to there not being a comp deadline looming. I do want to eventually get something together for ifcomp, but I’ve barely started, and I don’t even know which idea I’ll end up with.

I have been looking more into older internet IF and archival. A lot of the games of the early twine era are no longer online, even on the internet archive (at least one prominent early twine author deleted all their works and I think got them removed from internet archive as well). I think most people around here who are interested in preservation care more about retro games than the more recent stuff, but if anything I feel like the risk of losing web-based games is just as serious.

One of the games I looked at is Age of Fable, which was taken offline in the past few years. I managed to get the php code working and uploaded it to github.

3 Likes

I managed to get all my test scripts to pass for Shuffling Around, though maybe not at once, which is still a big step forward for the final release. It’s been interesting how running the tests overnight keeps bringing up smaller and smaller errors – yet at the same time, these smaller errors give me the feeling that, yes, stuff is getting tested and fixed! It was very hard to delete some 5-year-old test files, but really, it was time for them to go, and they’d been superseded.

I’ve also enjoyed the clarity of not having to worry about certain things I always meant to test. Some were in the scripts, and some fell once I added test cases. And just looking at code that needed to be cleaned up has uncovered some writing I could/should punch up.

Also I wrote some bash scripts that, looking back, I should’ve written a few years earlier. It would’ve made things go quicker. So much of this seems like it’s just for convenience, but I forget how much it adds up.

details of bash script

The basic idea was, I had scripts like reg-sa-store-(letter)-f-(max/alt/min/details/verbs).txt. So I first wrote a case statement that iterated through a string and said, okay, if “f” is in the string, run the storef tests.

Everything is in a flat directory, so one thing I had trouble with was “what about files not labeled reg-sa-store*?” – and this threw me for a bit until I realized I could just write a big catchall if statement.

if [[ "$a" == *"stores"* ]] || [[ "$a" == *"sortie"* ]] || [[ "$a" == *"forest"* ]] || [[ "$a" == *"metros"* ]] || [[ "$a" == *"resort"* ]] || [[ "$a" == *"ordeal"* ]] 
		then
		  continue
		fi

I can let obstacles like this hold me back, but it’s such a relief now to be able to kick off a test with, say “shuffling-test fimr” or “shuffling-test aox”. It seemed like it’d be a small convenience at first.

(Note: on writing this, I see I could also label files that are not generated by my test file generating script that has a basic walkthrough and special side commans as follows: reg-sa-ungenerated-(task). But it’s still good to feel proficient and see the solution to my original problem wasn’t too bad.)

Sometimes all this testing feels like it’s not doing anything, but compared to really not doing anything (e.g. games I just play to feel good about winning something) it’s a big thing to get done. One problem I had with running scripts was, I would write one, play a game to wait for it to finish and then forget about a 5-minute script for 30 minutes. I had an astonishingly simple solution to this: make my computer beep once things were done! I’d earlier sent an email to my gmail account once tests were done, but this was better, especially since I could make my computer make high beeps going up if a test passed, or low beeps going down if it didn’t.

I had a strong end to the week as well for my weekly writing file. I have a base goal and then certain stretch goals. I thought I might hit the top stretch goal for character/byte count, then I fell behind the pace for the 3rd-highest, but with ~2 hours to go, I managed to sneak in the 2nd-highest stretch goal count, which was good. So far this year I’ve hit my goal every week, in fact hitting the first stretch goal, despite having a lot of dry spells where I lose focus.

I also tested a couple TALP candidates, which look like they’ll be part of a really strong group. I know I sort of dropped back in in the middle of TALP last year and still got through the games, and it was a great reintroduction to the scene for me. I hope to be judging and writing reviews again this year.

3 Likes

Pretty much did a total pivot on the project me and a friend are submitting due to the constraints of the… engine? Program? Language? Maybe just the genre also. Basically, Sophie has to don her script writing cap and not the fancy fluffy prose robe, unfortunately. But I will definitely save the writing I’ve done on the horror survival one and maybe rehash that one out for next year’s SpringThing!

In the meantime, I’ve been doing a lot of character sprites and backgrounds. I’ll share a test layout I did in my art program before porting it over to fiddle around with positioning it properly in the actual game-making-thingy, (Ren’py). Don’t look too closely at the backgrounds, I usually paint floating heads in white space, hahahaha.

3 Likes

Nice work! From the composition, are you putting the characters on a foreground layer. Because, if so, you could mix and match backgrounds and also reposition the character somewhat and make interesting variations.

I played a game once where the characters had something like 3 or 4 face variations, which was just enough to carry emotion in the dialog. I think Manga styles either have a name or a standard system for this (ie a known number of faces you need). Perhaps someone else knows more.

1 Like

Thank you! I am, yes! I’ve got a whole file of sprite variants, mostly expressions but a few with props and stuff too. :slight_smile: It’s been a lot of fun painting!

In that case, how about trying to animate them. I’ll give it a go if you like.

1 Like

Aw, that’s super sweet of you to offer! I’ve been trying to steer clear of feature creep with this project since it’s my first game attempt with someone else and there is a submission date looming, so I don’t think animation is in the cards this go around (I believe the program doesn’t accept gifs and animation has to be done within it via built in transitions from what I’ve read?) but thanks for the thought!

1 Like

Update on how things have been going- I woke up the other day with a crazy amount of pain between the bad weather and old injuries, so I’ve been babying my joints and didn’t do much- just some scripting and very basic poking at the program. My co-writer and friend came up with a name for the project- Sunflowers in May, which is very pretty and ties into a poem the main character writes in it, which I thought was sweet.

As for today- I woke up abruptly after nearly slamming my head into the ground from restless tossing and turning, and my wrist is still no good for anything- same with my crackly ankles. I feel like I got hit by a truck. Gonna shower, (I’ll have to sit down on the tub floor and it’ll be a hour or so just to wash my hair I think) debate taking painkillers, and maybe feebly do some writing (yesterday a huge win was getting maybe a quarter page of dialog!) because drawing is out of the question. A warm bath and lying down fully in the water might help- one of the perks of being 5’0. Commenting the code is pretty nostalgic in the editor though, pretty different from Twine’s interface. I may end up just commenting ahead to think through the branching and later actually write in code.

I saw a lovely review from Mike Russo, and I’d love to respond just as thoughtfully when my brains aren’t mashed potatoes from pain and the nausea from it doesn’t make it hard to focus, so that’s definitely on my to do list. Putting it here to help remind me when I’m feeling better, haha.

5 Likes

This has been a good topic. I’m glad it’s here.

Yes, feature creep is a definite thing, and I felt guilty not adding certain features, as if I didn’t use my time well enough … but you know what?

That sort of thing helped me use my time better, and also, some features, I needed to wait on, because I didn’t have the technical know-how … yet.

Speaking of feature creep, I’m going to be a few days late releasing the previous game to my Spring Thing entry. But with @OlafNowacki helping me, I’ve found it’s a good time to drop certain features in, ones I almost feel silly now that I didn’t think of.

Also I realized how tough it is for me to ask questions – when I began with Inform, I figured “oh, my question is too basic, it’s been asked before,” but now, I feel more like, “Hey, I have the experience, and maybe if it’s been asked before, it will be asked again, and it will be in place.” It’s tough to explain how to have and develop that confidence your questions are worthwhile, but I think I’ve done my due diligence before posting things. It’s like I work harder to suppress a question than to ask it the right way.

4 Likes

Not IF related but my wife and I hit 1000 days on our NYT crossword streak today. :champagne:

(on the other hand I just lost my wordle streak because apparently proper nouns are in play now?!?)

5 Likes

If you’re talking about today’s, “homer” isn’t just the Simpsons patriarch, it’s also an idiomatic term for a home run in baseball. The rules for what counts as a possible solution in Wordle are ridiculous if you look under the hood via Wordle Bot or source-diving - most plurals don’t count, nor do many adverbs, but there are also arbitrary omissions like I believe “loner” isn’t considered a potential solution for no reason I can guess. But you’re allowed to guess these words even though they can never be the right answer!

4 Likes

It took me 5 tries to get today’s Wordle.

(edited because the spoiler tag apparently doesn’t work across paragraphs)

a “homer” is also a sports announcer who is too biased in favor of the team they announce for. And looking at a big dictionary site, it has a definition I as a native speaker never considered, though it makes sense (short for homing pigeon.) So the wordle folks can say “see, it wasn’t totally idiosyncratic American English!”

I really do think they’re choosing tougher words to keep the challenge going. In this case, today’s might intentionally have been thrown in to foozle people unfamiliar with American English. Perhaps the words are chosen at random instead of at the frequency they’d appear in conversation, though, and that makes it seem like weird ones appear more than they should.

4 Likes

Why have I never used this word? I will now. Thanks, Andrew.

RE Wordle: And “homer” was my first wordle loss in over 100 games. I had -O-ER from the first word and there were too damned many options.

6 Likes

Not related to wordle, but I sent my game to first testers today! Always exciting to get to the testing part of development. This is my first Dialog game.

12 Likes

I had a melanoma removed today. I wouldn’t normally mention this sort of thing, but I was playing Wordle Unlimited while waiting to see the doctors. The good thing about Wordle Unlimited is that you can play multiple games per day. It’s a great way to kill time, but jeez some of those words are hard. I got stuck on one word. My last guess was GLUED, but the first letter was wrong. I think it must have been CLUED.

7 Likes

Ouch … this is tough. Because, yeah, just having cower, poser, loner, hover, joker and boxer (each with different 1-3 letters) means you could just be hosed by randomness. But on the other hand it feels really cowardly to try a word like WISPY to eliminate that many more words because you aren’t trying for that 2-guess brass ring!

The conflict of Wordle strategies (minimizing average guesses vs actually getting things in 6 guesses) is fascinating to me.

As for the project … @DrkStarr had some cool transcripts which got me untracked to do some very interesting stuff for Shuffling Around. I managed to hack Zarf’s regtest scripts so they could detect bad punctuation. Inform’s line break handling causes you to do something like

say "That worked really [if yay is true]well[else]badly[end if]."

And most of the time you remember to, but sometimes you get 1 of the 2 below:

say "That worked really [if yay is true]well[else]badly[end if]"
say "That worked really [if yay is true]well.[else]badly[end if]."

One gives no period and the other gives 2. Sometimes a stray period appears on one line as well!

So I was able to check this. The interesting thing was, I got some false flags, but they also turned up things to tune up. I also managed to run something to test HINT (OBJECT) on all objects to make sure things were handled sanely. This was a small holy grail, and often just having transcripts gives me a boost to try new technical stuff, and the new technical stuff, while it doesn’t show everything’s perfect, gives me confidence at least some things are going right. There weren’t a ton of bad/obvious things, but enough was in the “I’d never have seen that” camp, I’m glad I did it.

I’m typing this as tests are running. Sometimes I run and re-run a test and I finally think “this time it’ll pass” and it doesn’t quite … but it’s been good to learn how not to feel helpless and not anticipate the test results too much (and even write a script to peek in and be able to scrub a test that misfired badly,) and how to prep the next thing I want to do without burning out. And there’s one more thing–the tests are pretty intensive on my Linux emulator, and if I busy my Windows desktop up, it slows the tests down. So it’s been a good way to motivate myself to get up and stop staring at the screen, which has been a pitfall during COVID.

Perhaps the most frustrating and amusing part of the whole test process was this: I finally got around to testing a maze, which is optional. I didn’t want to do so in detail, but I figured I should. Of course, my test script got lost in the maze several times. There were “only” 25 rooms, but even so, there were enough dead ends I failed to backtrack through that it took a lot of energy to (finally) get things working. This was a “nice” reminder (not that I needed one) to avoid putting mazes in any future games, as the pain I experience–well, I don’t want to pass it on to anyone kind enough to look at my stuff.

Overall I’ve covered a lot of things I didn’t expect to, stuff I would’ve said “no way I could do that, but it’d be neat” back in 2013 or so. So I really feel ready to move on. It’s a bit scary, in a way, as this project was more a part of my identity than I thought. But also, I know I have stuff I can and want to move on to.

2 Likes

My brain’s still mostly been mashed potatoes- I think that the post term fatigue hit me like a truck, once I’d had the time to actually sit down and sort through my feelings: having the impending doom of roaring exams and deadlines replaced with emotional dread.

I’ve had a lot going on as of late. I’ve finally stopped having nightmares relating to the end of things with my ex, (just the usual PTSD night terrors on usual rota, though, at least I have the room on my bed at home to thrash and cry out in my sleep without waking up anyone else, so that’s a win!) and I’ve not been sobbing as much in sporadic jags through the day/night. I actually haven’t cried myself to sleep for awhile now, which is shocking, since it’s kind of a normal at least once a week thing for me. (Having an alphabet soup list of issues will do that to a person, I guess.) Still super tired, (I’ve been sleeping like a baby lately, just a rock solid ten or twelve hours of snoozing- must be making up for lost sleep!) and in a lot of chronic pain: my dominant hand has been more or less unusable without frequent breaks.

I’ve been spending most of my time recently trying to engage mindfully with stuff at hand- and doing things that make me happy, which’ll be cut up into two parts below…

I’ve been doing, when my wrists permit it, arts and crafts- messing around with modelling clay, doodling silly quick things with markers with no expectation of polishing it to render perfectly, scribbling messily in my diary with noodling prose snippets and funky little portraits. I find that those sorts of things are the easiest way for me to ‘relax into my days’ and let go of my constant anxiety around what time it is / how many hours I’ve left in the day. I’ve been spending a lot of time in the nearby nature- snapping photos of birds, examining the native flora that’s been left to flourish in our gone-to-wilderness yard, sitting around and soaking up the sun and staring lazily back at the squirrels and groundhogs and bunnies. I’ve been cooking more, too- (lots of pizza and pasta mostly, LOL) and experimenting with new spreads and sauces. I’ve been learning that I do like spicy food a lot more than I used to as a kid! I’ve had a lot of fun little charcuterie boards, and am planning on picking up baking again- I’m great at banana bread, and make some banger chocolate chip cookies too. Making a conscious effort to record the highlights of my day has made time pass weirdly slowly, but that’s good, I think.

I’ve also been making fun little special drinks at home and savouring them (I never am patient enough to grind up my own coffee beans and brew them, or have the time to drink tea for pleasure, during the school term I’m shotgunning back the cheapest instant coffee I can get my grubby little paws on during crunchtime), trying on pretty sundresses (I love the way I look in two I’ve gotten: one’s a light blue with a light floral pattern and ruching with a ruffle and puff sleeves, the other’s a soft baby pink tie dye with white and the cutest little ties/bows at the shoulders, alongside a tiered baby pink princess skirt in light cotton and a teddybear brown cardigan- a new pink tumbler with a metal straw and silicon sipper cover, a Sanrio pocket mirror, a pink wallet as an upgrade from my Hello Kitty one from middle school, pink and white scrunchies!!!), messing around with my look (I chopped off a bunch of my hair- it’s still fairly long, but I went from my lower back to a bit past my collar bones, and gave myself some layered bangs) and… SLEEPING! I’m never a naps sort of person, but it’s so satisfying to flop down onto my bed and pillows and just relax with a cup of water nearby to sip idly from like some waifish Victorian boy-king propped up against his headboard. I also found some of my favourite PJs of all time I forgot to pack when I moved down for school, so I’ve been basically living out of them. Sooooo comfy, even if I hate the summer-time heat.

I’ve been spending a lot of time with loved ones, and calling my friends for hours while lying down on my bed with my feet kicked up behind me is just cliche-teen-movie enough it’s delightfully funny to me. I pitched a new campaign idea to my group of usual players, and am writing some fun roleplay stuff with a dear friend. I’ve made plans to meet up with a friend of mine for a coffee date and museum crawl sometime soon when the stars align with scheduling nonsense. A game night’s also in the books for sillier stuff like Among Us, and Scribblio. I’ve been trying to not isolate myself, since I have a tendency to do so when I’m deep in the depths of a depressive spiral- (especially by tunnel visioning into projects/work, which might explain my lack of progress on personal projects as of late) and things have been lighter, as of late. Still kind of painful, (more so physically, my joints have not been happy with me- I’ve fallen down a few times with my legs/ankles giving out on me, but thankfully have long since perfected the art of a dignified flop) but it’s easier to breathe.

4 Likes

An important life-skill if ever there was one.

Live, love, breathe, create… You’re doing all the right things to stave off the spiral.

Seeing Sweetpea's Custom Ribbons from the Spring Thing players must’ve been a great experience. I’m refreshing the page obsessively to witness the ribbons going live.

Best wishes,

Rovarsson

3 Likes