How To Win The IF Comp (a work in progress)

Only worthwhile rules:

1. make a game and make it seriously (no trolling, please)
  2. enter the Comp
  3. Place somewhere (who cares) and have people play and, sometimes, enjoy your game (even ONE is enough).

Addendum:

1. Have very skilled people make a game on your setting.
  2. Blush.
  3. Be king.
  4. Rule the world.
1 Like
1 Like

I realize this was meant as, er, a provocation, and that this point in particular is not true on the face of it – a majority of winning past games had puzzles. But if one is concerned about this problem, there are some things that address it:

– ramp your puzzle difficulty; make the first puzzles your player encounters fairly easy, and then test them to make sure that your beta-testers experience them as easy. A player who has successfully solved a few things is likely to have more faith in the author when he gets to harder stuff; and

– write your hints and walkthrough well, as Wade describes above. Being able to look up single puzzles and have it explained how and why they work makes it much likelier that players will access only the part they absolutely need and will have faith that the game is fair. David Welbourn’s annotated, multi-section walkthroughs are an especially good example, as they typically explain game logic and are divided into clear headings, as well as giving the exact commands required to win.

1 Like

This is more like what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules.

Man, I really did show up late to the party [emote]:([/emote]

Well, I thought it was quite obvious I was joking…

It seemed as though you were making a serious point in a jokey way, which is why I made a serious response in a jokey way.

oh, well, yes. The first part is a serious point. The second, obviously not.
But guess you are right. Nit-picky, but right [emote]:)[/emote]

I also think that testing other people’s games is useful for empathizing with the person on the other side. It is nice for when you need a break from coding etc.

I also know, from briefly talking to one of the authors of Rover’s Day Out, that having one person do the game script and one person do the game coding can help people focus. I mean, I think both of them are capable people who could do both the script and the coding. It would just take them longer. And like most creative projects, it’s important to have a long chunk of time to focus on one particularly tough thing.

So collaboration is very much a good thing, and I’d like to see more of it, because I bet there are a lot of people with great stories who have trouble coding, and great coders who’d just like a story.

Also, this YouTube link of John Cleese’s lecture on creativity may or may not be helpful. The main point is that any creative endeavor needs a block of time, likely several, but–well, it’s just plain boring to be told that by any old person. Cleese seems to say it the right way. I suspect most people here have seen this, but it’s a boost for those who haven’t.

YouTube link: youtube.com/watch?v=VShmtsLhkQg

Transcript, for if you have watched enough of his skits, etc., that you can just sort of picture how he says what he says: github.com/tjluoma/John-Cleese- … t.markdown

I apologize that this post doesn’t doesn’t really fit into the thread’s original theme, but I’d like to mention it anyways. For many of us, when we go enter the IF Comp for the first time, there’s the undeniable hope that our game will be loved by everyone. Sure, some people do see this happen, but for most of us, we find teaspoons of praise buried in (seemingly) heaps of criticism. Still, I think it’s actually kind of empowering when your game wins over the few and not the many- especially when your future works are likely to be just as divisive. You can give up the idea of trying to please everyone right then and there and know, hey, there are people out there who get it. That’s really all you need.

1 Like

I was going to put No matter what you do, you are not going to please everybody in there; thanks for bringing that up.

I think there’s also room for establishing an area for reviewing/feedback that focuses on positives; this is something we’ve occasionally talked about in previous years but not gotten anywhere with. I’ve taken a few experimental steps in that direction here:

sparklyifreviews.wordpress.com/

…though it’s not as long on content yet as it could be. But the idea is to supplement (not replace) existing critical feedback mechanisms with a non-spiky one that acknowledges a) writing IF at all is hard; b) putting it out in public is an act of courage, and we could use more voices; and c) there is something worth celebrating in most IF, whether or not we want to turn around and recommend that particular piece as a representation of the best in IF to a wider audience.

I’m sure there will be some people whose reaction is “why should we coddle authors??” – but the point is that there’s already plenty of feedback that addresses problems or offers players advice about which experiences are most polished; what the community doesn’t have much of, in comparison with a lot of amateur art and fandom communities, is a sense of safe space for authors.

I don’t know whether this will seem useful enough to pursue in the long run, but if people like the idea and want to contribute, let me know.

I’m not a comp guy at all … but I’m an encouraging-writers-is-at-least-as-important-as-schooling-them guy. I’d pitch in what I could (though I’m not sure what I could).

Well, the key thing we need, really, is more content. I’d be happy to get you posting access if you’re interested; posts don’t have to be super-long or involved.

Sure thing. I could probably commit to at least a little something every 4-6 weeks. There are certainly lots of IF efforts out there I’m happy to slather some constructive praise on [emote]:)[/emote]

Woot, thanks! Invitation sent.

I live this thing. If still in need I can be the pleasing guy with no effort.

Er, are you volunteering to write positive feedback, or to be the recipient thereof?

A bad typo made this thing unreadable. It figures. [emote]:)[/emote]

I LOVE this thing. And volunteering to write. Of course, not now.

Cool. PM me or email (emshort@mindspring.com) with your preferred email address, and I’ll send you an invite.