How to play The Quill SNA games?

Thanks, that works!

I completed Time Quest without a walkthrough! I guess I had to, because as far as I know there is no walkthrough. My final score is 80%, and I suspect that there might be a better ending possible – though I cannot be sure about this. Clearly, I am duty-bound to write up a walkthrough and submit it to the IF Archive / IFDB. But if anyone wants to improve on my score, feel free!

It’s clearly a game of its time, but I found it quite enjoyable nevertheless. The puzzles are easy; there are ways to die but they are not too cumbersome; and a real attempt at building a believable environment was made.

3 Likes

There is a walkthrough. :slight_smile: As previously posted.
http://solutionarchive.com/game/id%2C3535/Time+Quest.html

1 Like

Well… good I had forgotten about that, because now I’ve had the accomplishment of beating the game on my own!

I don’t really understand why I’m at 80% and her walkthrough is at 100%; the only difference in path seems to be that I didn’t get captured but sneaked into the Gestapo HQ – would be weird if you get more points for getting captured! But perhaps that is how it works.

Yes, you probably get the extra points for discovering the note.

1 Like

Ah! I didn’t read the note on my final playthrough, already knowing what was in it. But that might indeed be the difference. (You get most points for actions that are not strictly necessary for completing the story! Weirdly enough, two of the three eras you can warp to are completely irrelevant to the story.)

At some point I must get around to looking at B.J. Curtis’ games, even though they’re quite early examples for the Quill (pre-customised font & compression etc.) they’ve always seemed interesting. He did quite a large, two-part PAWed game too (“Thor”).

2 Likes

Many congratulations! Have actually played this one myself, but didn’t get to the end of it (I was playing with a 7 year old; he got bored in the Nazi zone). I now wish I’d persevered for long enough to claim my posthumous Victoria Cross.

1 Like

Checking the code, the points seem to come when you pick up the note… Although I don’t see any evidence that the author has stopped the player from repeatedly picking up and dropping the note in order to keep increasing the score. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s actually a bizarre typo in the end text, so it’s more like a ‘postuamaous’ Victoria Cross, or something like that. :wink:

1 Like
2 Likes

Over the last couple of months, I’ve been working on some online Quill Tools - namely a reverse engineering tool to allow the source code of Quill adventures to be viewed through a web browser and a web-based Quill adventure player. It’s finally ready enough to be released to the public, although I’m sure there may be some bugs that I haven’t found yet. Take a look at https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/quill-adventure-guides/main.html if you’re interested.

2 Likes

You might not be looking in the right places, then. :slight_smile:

However, cool looking tool and website. Really interesting. Any plans to expand it to other Quill formats, beyond the ZX Spectrum?

We have quite a lot of tools for extracting and viewing Spectrum, Amstrad, C64 and BBC Quilled games. Sadly, there aren’t corresponding tools for some of the other formats, such as the Atari, Apple II, DOS… which is a shame as there are quite a few platform exclusive games that would be interesting to poke around in (and perhaps even port).

I’ve had a little play with the online interpreter. It’s not the way I’d ever want to play a Spectrum text adventure but it is cool.

One thing I did notice straight away (there might well be other issues) is that it’s not handling the END condact/end game loop correctly. It incorrectly processes the status table after the “Do you want to try again?” prompt.