How to have possessive topics?

What I’m trying to do is be able to ask a character about her day, quite literally … the command ‘ask Mary about her day’ … and I’m having trouble getting it to work. I feel like the answer is probably obvious and I’m just overlooking it …

I initially tried setting up a topic tMaryDay : Topic ‘her day’ … but it did not work.

I also tried setting up a topic under the Mary actor definition … + tMaryDay : Topic ‘day’ … on the hopes that the topic object would then belong to her … but it did not work either.

I’d like to get this figured out because I have several other places where I want to ask npcs about things that belong to them that aren’t necessarily things … i.e. ask jake about his math test, or ask jake about his scar

Thanks

Hey! I am new at TADS, but have you tried using AskTopic yet?
Either a ‘day’ object or topic could have isOwnedBy = mary? Just a stab…

Well, yes … I am using AskTopic for the ‘action’ part of this process, but I thought it was implied when I started mentioning my topic objects… I’m sorry I wasn’t clear bout that.

Your suggestion did not work … in fact using isOwnedBy with a topic object causes tads to crash … but the solution is a near neighbor of that … the “owner” property.

So this works:

tMarysDay : Topic 'day'
owner=mary
;

Then on the character I have this AskTopic

++ AskTopic @tMarysDay 
"My day is going very well, thank you."
;

When the user types in ‘ask mary about her day’ it returns ‘My day is going very well, thank you.’ which is what I was trying to do.

So thank you. You got me half way there. It was all about figuring out the way Tads wanted ownership for topic objects defined …

1 Like

I’m working on my first big game myself and I haven’t “gotten” to implementing all the big actors yet, so I didn’t/don’t really have experience to draw on yet…