How to add a transition effect to a (cycling-link) or to a (seq-link: ) macro

Hello, everyone,

I’m trying to add a transition effect to my cycling-links, in Harlowe. I’m using Twine 2.3.16 and Harlowe 3.2.3.

I think I can’t add a transition effect directly to the cycling-link macro, so I’ve used the (link: ) macro to reproduce the cyclink-links behaviour, like this, and it works:

Living is harder every day. As soon as I open my eyes and realize the day has begun, it comes to me, (link: "your presence...")[(link: "your omnipresence...")[(link: "this anguish of existing...")[the pain of living every day without you.]]]

But if I try to add the transition effect to the (link: ) macros like this:

Living is harder every day. As soon as I open my eyes and realize the day has begun, it comes to me, (link: "your presence...")[(t8n: "dissolve")[(link: "your omnipresence...")[(t8n: "dissolve")[(link: "this anguish of existing...")[(t8n: "dissolve")[the pain of living every day without you.]]]]]]

When I click the link, there is a strange behaviour: the revealed link jumps around: first skips to the line below and then returns to the right place. This only happens when a link is revealed. If the link reveals plain text, this doesn’t happen.

But maybe I’m overcomplicating things and there is a easier solution to accomplish this?

Thanks!

José

My answer to the Upward slip after transition question explains the temporary visual effect you’re seeing.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, Greyelf. Yeah, your previous answer explains clearly what’s happening. Definitely an issue too complex for me to deal with. Maybe it will be possible in a future version of Harlowe. Thanks anyway!

1 Like