How do you pronounce glulx?

Maybe by contrast to other Germanic languages, but I think it’s got kind of a lot compared to most languages. A four-consonant cluster isn’t unusual in English. Though I can’t think of any English four-consonant clusters where three out of four consonants are plosives.

1 Like

Four consonant clusters? I can only think of words with three, like strengths.

1 Like

rhythm? if u count the y?

1 Like

If we’re talking phonology, then the y is definitely a vowel. That would have only a two consonant cluster: thm (the th is one consonant phonetically).

1 Like

Now I want to play Scrabble™.

1 Like

Yep. There certainly are English words like ‘prankster’, ‘bootstrap’, ‘constrain’ and even ‘postscript’, so it seems I was wrong. Maybe the difference (as far as Indoeuropean languages go at least) has more to do with precisely what clusters are allowed where in the word (initially, medially or finally). It seems that Russian words can begin with the cluster ‘mgl-’! (‘Mgla’ means ‘mist’ in Russian, apparently.) In Swedish I think that could only occur medially in compunds (like ‘Hemglassbil’).

/Felx

1 Like

I’ve never resurrected a decade-old topic before, so am partly doing this out of badness, but I can’t believe there is no authoritative answer here! :slight_smile: @zarf

1 Like

Rhymes with “flulx”.

2 Likes

Haha – sounds like “blulx”?

2 Likes

An understandable error, but “blulx” is actually prononounced “Bletchlesford”.

2 Likes

I say “glux,” but not because it’s correct. I just don’t like the sound or mouth feel of “glulx”

1 Like

I’ve never used it in verbal conversation, but I hear it in my head as glue-lux or glue-licks.

1 Like

This is reminding me of that game (rhymes with Cyan Reader’s Mystic Rye Seasoning) where cryptograms are spoken over a telephone, and I still wonder today (1) how would that actually sound and (2) how did I understand what was actually said?

2 Likes

And how the magic word XYZZY is purportedly spoken out loud to activate it, but nobody knows the exact pronunciation. I assume that was the Imps’ intention!

2 Likes

I think this is as close to a canonical answer as we’ve seen.

(See also.)

1 Like

In another WIP I have the magic word XYZZY pronounced as “Eggs! Why Zed, Zed why?”. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

7 Likes

:rofl:
(Sorry, that deserved more than just a like.)

1 Like