How do I rename a preson?

Quick question, How do I rename a preson in the middle of a game?

Not sure if you can actually do that, but you can largely achieve that effect by changing the printed name (which affects what the player sees) and adding an “understand” statement (which affects how the parser reacts to typed commands.

Now the printed name of Joe is Fred.

does the former.

Understand "Fred" as Joe.

does the latter. Once these statements have kicked in, if the player types “x Joe” it will still understand Joe as Joe (so you haven’t really renamed Joe) but it will also respond to “x Fred” by giving the description of Joe.

Robert Rothman

“Now the printed name of Joe is Fred.” Didn’t work. I got this error:
The sentence ‘Now the printed name of Joe is Fred’ appears to say two things are the same - I am reading ‘Now the printed name of Adian’ and ‘Fred’ as two different things, and therefore it makes no sense to say that one is the other: it would be like saying that ‘St Peter is St Paul’. It would be all right if the second thing were the name of a kind, perhaps with properties: for instance ‘Pearly Gates is a lighted room’ says that something called Pearly Gates exists and that it is a ‘room’, which is a kind I know about, combined with a property called ‘lighted’ which I also know about.

Also, I get this error If I type a game with no problems.
An error occurred:
Parchment could not load the story. Check your connection, and that the URL is correct.

Traceback (most recent call last):

(anonymous function)
w
(anonymous function)
(anonymous function)
(anonymous function)
(anonymous function)

Sorry, the code for changing the printed should have been

Now the printed name of Joe is "Fred".

I had forgotten that you need the quotes to specifiy that “Fred” is text.

Also, just to be clear, this must be invoked as part of a statement which specifies the trigger.

I don’t think this will fix the Parchment error – hopefully one of the Parchment experts will weigh in.

Robert Rothman

If Parchment is giving you that error it has nothing to do with your code - it means it can’t download your file. Check the URL is correct.