How do I get Parchment working?

I changed max-width:900px; to max-width:60ch; in the web.css file. It seems to work, but I have a little grey column on the right that is a bit unpleasant.

Thanks for pointing this out, I added it to step 4 now. :+1:

Yes, I didn’t want to complicate things even further. :slight_smile:

Inform 7 looks for Templates in three locations:

• project-specific templates in <Project Name>.materials\Templates, which if present take priority over
  • user-wide templates in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Inform\Templates, which if present take priority over
  • internally supplied templates in <Installation Directory>\Inform7\Internal\Templates.

A potential problem with overwriting the latter location is that (I assume) it will be clobbered when Inform 7 is re-installed.

That’s why I thought it would be best to use the project-specific directory for this one-off case (and that’s also the way it’s described in 25.11):

Inform also supports the use of any other interpreter the author wants to try (including, for instance, later versions of Parchment or Quixe than the built-in ones). If we have access to an exotic Javascript-based interpreter called, let’s say, “Urbzig”, then we can install it by putting it into the “Templates” subfolder of the “.materials” folder for the project, and then ask for it to be used instead of “Parchment” like so:
Release along with the "Urbzig" interpreter.

(which, as seen above, also works with “Release along with the "Parchment" interpreter.”)

If you’re doing it for several projects, it would probably be best to use the middle option and put the template in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Inform\Templates.

2 Likes

Thanks again. That’s really good to know. When I was poking around in the Program Files (x86) folders, I also found the templates for the html files. As these are chock full of html validation errors, I can fix them there and keep a backup somewhere for when they get clobbered during an upgrade.

I didn’t realise that any of the Parchment stuff was in the Inform 7 documentation. I guess I should have a browse through it one of these days.