How do I do an open outdoors?

I wanted to have something in game that let the player explore places outdoors, and then if they are inside a building, or in a town, there would be a set layout for those specific places.

For instance, The wildlands would incorporate the places that exist outside of each town, basically an explorable place that allows you to walk in any direction without hinderance until you reach a stopping point or a set layout place.

1 Like

I think you’d have to have sections of the outdoors that were each “rooms”. A room can be a field or a forest or outer space, not necessarily inside. Am I understanding your question correctly?

1 Like

I’m not positive if this is what you’re after, but this

Lab is a room.
Vast open space is north of lab.
Destination is north of vast open space.
Instead of going up from the vast open space, say "There is no way to ascend.".
Instead of going down from the vast open space, say "There is no way to descend.".
Instead of going nowhere from the vast open space, say "[We] [go] [noun]. The vast open space seems endless.".

creates a Vast Open Space in which one can endlessly go any of east, west, ne, nw, se, sw, but south would always go straight to the Lab and north would always go straight to the Destination.

2 Likes

That was elegant. Well written piece of code.

1 Like

@zed tends to do that. It’s kinda like poetry.

3 Likes

You’re too kind. On a good day, I get in some good tricks before I finally step on the rake and smack it in my face.

7 Likes

So there’s just one bit of this that doesn’t work, and now I’m compelled to understand why. As written the “Instead of going up/down” rules don’t trigger (at least on borogrove). If I add a couple of stub destinations up and down from vast open space, everything works as expected.

1 Like

oops, sorry. in, not from.

Instead of going up in the vast open space, say "There is no way to ascend.".
Instead of going down in the vast open space, say "There is no way to descend.".
2 Likes

This would work except that I wanted the vast open space to be sort of explorable, like it goes to different places the more you explore.

1 Like

Then it seems like you should make many different rooms, all labelled “Vast open space”.
Like this:

Vast1 is a room. "A vast open space going in all four cardinal directions endlessly.".

Understand "vast open space" as vast1.

The printed name of vast1 is "vast open space".

Vast2 is a room. It is north of vast1. "A vast open space going in all four cardinal directions endlessly.".

Understand "vast open space" as vast2.

The printed name of vast2 is "vast open space".

And just keep adding them as needed.

**Originally replied to Zed’s post for some unknown reason. Gah.

1 Like

Will a given route into and through the vast open space always go to a given place? Or is there a random chance of stumbling upon a place every time one moves in the vast open space? Other?

1 Like

This will work I think

1 Like

Yes a given route will go to the same place.

1 Like