Hint thread for A1RLOCK

As you will see… not at all :slight_smile:

My time had run out, tbh. The final showdown would have needed a better entrance (more direct foreshadowing, per example) and a better exit. But that is, at the moment.

1 Like

Finished.

As I wrote in one of my replies above, TRANSCRIPT isn’t supported in the version I downloaded from itch. If you send me a version where it is, I would gladly try and replicate my playthrough.
It would take some time though, since there are so many games in Seed and Puny I want to see first.

1 Like

Don’t worry! I’ve saved all the things you said here. That’s enough I guess.
I will have a less rushed beta in my next game. :slight_smile:

FMY: how did you play it? Which Interpreter? Did you play the .z5 or the .d64?
I’d like to know how many actually played it in the “intended” version (which would be: retro).

2 Likes

.z5 with Frotz.

Short impressions are up in my PunySeed thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread. I did some rudimentary play testing, but I didn’t get very far due to lack of time. I’m now playing the released version and having trouble in a few areas. (‘Having trouble’ means ‘I have absolutely no idea what to do’.) The hints here have given me a few ideas.

5 Likes

Been poking around the game a bit, really enjoying the vibe and atmosphere! Puzzles are fun, but I might need to dig around a bit more before resorting to hints. I’m also considering waiting for a post-comp release.

1 Like

z5 here. I have run the c64 version but I need to play with a physic Bluetooth keyboard which makes the playthrough less portable. Notice that I play in an Android device.

1 Like

Rovarson is Rovarson. I am playing this game now but I can’t find the.

can

I have found it.

This is an amazing story. I havs enjoyed it till the end. A great job, a must play adventure.

• Jade.
5 Likes

Fun game! I definitely needed the help in this thread. I put a review on IFDB, but just wanted to say thanks for the hints!

5 Likes

Brian if you happen to have a transcript, be sure to send me :slight_smile:

(this applies to everybody).

I know that the dumbwaiter puzzle is quite broken at the moment and I’ve already corrected it for the post-comp release. But given that some puzzles are pretty obscure, I’d like to know (I was about to write “I need”, tbh) how people approach them to cover as many possibilities as possible.
I’m adding a ton of other responses, too, as I was not able to due to time constraint.

3 Likes

I think that the game is fully playable as is. I enjoyed a lot playing it.
I can’t do any transcript becouse the game doesn’t understand transcript or tstart commands.
By the way I founded some spelling and missword issues. I also got puzzled with the figure, you understand me. I thought some was with an eye on me.

• Jade.
3 Likes

The command to start a transcript is SCRIPT ON or TRANSCRIPT ON. However, it is not supported in this game, presumably because it’s not using the OPTIONAL_EXTENDED_METAVERBS. If you are using an interpreter that has a scrollback feature (such as Windows Frotz), then you can copy and paste from there.

2 Likes

Oh man! Thank you for this information. I have been using Frotz for ages and I didn’t know about this feature. Sure helps if I want to refresh my memory of what I already tried. Or to produce a transcript in a roundabout way.

For those like me who didn’t know: above the game window there is a row of little icons. One of them looks like a parchment scroll. Click on that and you will see the text of your current playsession. Copy-paste that into a text-file and you have a transcript to send to the author.

@Jamespking , I wish I had known about this when I was playing A1RLOCK. Sorry.

4 Likes

Huh… I can see my game session in the scrollback window but I can’t copy it directly. Instead, there’s a button on the top that says “Copy selected text to clipboard”.

Pray tell, good Sir, where might I find this “clipboard”?

1 Like

I normally press Ctrl+A to select all, then Ctrl+C to copy to the Windows clipboard. You can use the Copy selected text to clipboard button to do the same as Ctrl+C.

The clipboard is the Windows clipboard. Open a blank text document and use Ctrl+V to paste the contents of the Windows clipboard into the text document.

3 Likes

A note—I was stuck at finding the earlier mentioned duct. Having previously tried PULL DRAIN and seeing “That’s fixed in place.” made me assume that you couldn’t OPEN DRAIN.

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s meant to be a statement or a question. If you’re stuck at the drain in the food court, the solution is to X DRAIN to get a hint, then OPEN DRAIN or OPEN GRATE.

2 Likes

Ctrl-V is for paste in Windows (Ctrl-P is for printing a document)

1 Like

Yes you need to try twice.

Of course, you’re right. How could I possibly make that mistake? I’ve fixed it so as not to confuse anyone in future.

1 Like