Help with individual Hyperlinks for Items and Things

Well when you outcomment the part in Inline Hyperlinks by Daniel Stelzer, you get these errors:

Problem. In the line 'say "[item described] - [link][bracket] [...] ake [the item described][end link]"'  , I was expecting that 'link' would be something to 'say', but it didn't look like any form of 'say' that I know. So I tried to read 'link' as a value of some kind (because it's legal to say values), but couldn't make sense of it that way either. 

Sometimes this happens because punctuation has gone wrong - for instance, if you've omitted a semicolon or full stop at the end of the 'say' phrase.

I was trying to match this phrase:

say "[link - sayable value]" 

But I didn't recognise 'link'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Chapter 3a - Debugging (not for release), Section - Previewing the hyperlink list (for use without Extended Debugging by Erik Temple) in the extension Inline Hyperlinks by Daniel Stelzer:

Problem. In the sentence 'Display the hyperlink list using indices'  , I was expecting to read a list of texts, but instead found some text that I couldn't understand - 'hyperlink list'.

I was trying to match one of these phrases:

1.  display (hyperlink list - list of texts) using indices 

2.  display (hyperlink list using indices - figure name) 

But I didn't recognise 'hyperlink list' or 'hyperlink list using indices'.

Problems occurring in translation prevented the game from being properly created. (Correct the source text to remove these problems and click on Go once again.)

Which tells me that even though that code is for replacing something in flexible windows, it’s still reliant on that piece of code somehow?

I haven’t looked at it in depth, but you could look at the old Flexible Windows, and try to figure this out:

In the old version of Flexible Windows (whatever version has the section names that Inline Hyperlinks is referring to), find the named sections that Inline Hyperlinks is trying to replace. Do those sections constitute all the hyperlink code in the old Flexible Windows? Or is there more hyperlink code in Flexible Windows?

If Inline Hyperlinks is trying to replace all the hyperlink sections in Flexible Windows, then I don’t think the old hyperlink code from Flexible Windows is needed at all. You could try commenting out the entire chapter of Inline Hyperlinks that says “for use with Flexible Windows” in the heading.

Sorry, I don’t have time to look into it further right now.

Thats what i did and got the error with [link] not being recognized, which makes 0 sense to me as “To say link” is described pretty clearly.

It’s because the “for use without Flexible Windows” parts aren’t being included. If you remove that from the heading, it will hopefully work.

That did the trick! It’s all working like a charm now! Thank you guys for the help!

Removing the entirety of chapter 2 and deleting “for use without Flexible Windows” made it all work.

Draconis, would it be helpful for someone to modify the Github version of Inline Hyperlinks to make those changes? I.e. remove the “For use with Flexible Windows” chapter and the “for use without Flexible Windows” heading?

Updated. Thanks for testing!

Sorry for this mess! I removed the hyperlinks section from FW because it was only tangentially related to the extension. My hope in the future is to write a kind of unifying hyperlinks extension that combines the best of all the others.

FWIW the reason that I added hyperlinks to Flexible Windows is to enable basic hyperlink functionality in all windows, something that would otherwise have required yet another hyperlinks extension. (Basic Hyperlinks only provides it in the main window.) A unified extension is a great idea, as long as it includes multi-window support.

Definitely. The greater plan is to make most extensions multi-window aware, so that FW would only be for creating and controlling extra windows.

This conversation died down at the end of July. What’s the situation today for a multi-window (Flexible Windows off github) solution to hyperlinks?

From reading the 3 pages on this topic, it seems there is a modified github.com/i7/extensions/blob/m … rlinks.i7x Inline Hyperlinks out there that now works with the newer Flexible Windows?

Working sample Inform 7 code welcome :wink: Something that hyperlinks commands like West, East, Look?

Ok, I see someone checked in a new extension 5 days ago on Github :wink: The published documentation is still incorrect on inform.com website (found a topic here from 2011 https://intfiction.org/t/problem-with-hyperlinks-in-a-flexible-windows-subwindow/2407/4 that explained the documentation error).

Working Sample!

"FlexibleWindowsHyperlinksA" by "Community"

The story genre is "Other". The release number is 1.  [genre: https://intfiction.org/t/defining-the-story-genre/4615/1 ]
The story headline is "Glulx technical demonstration".

[Include version 15/161003 of Flexible Windows by Jon Ingold.]
[DEPENDENCY: Simple Graphical Window automatically includes Flexible Windows by Jon Ingold]
Include version 10/161003 of Simple Graphical Window by Emily Short.

[
A bit of history: Flexible Windows had a Hyperlinks feature up until version 15. It was removed fron the extension because it did not really fit with the name of the extension. "Hyperlinks by Dannii Willis" was created in October 2016 to provide the functionality that previously existed in earlier versions of Flexible Windows.
]
Include Hyperlinks by Dannii Willis.

[ The mere inclusion of the Simple Graphical Window extension automatically creates a window named 'graphic window' ]

The measurement of the graphics window is 6 [units?].

The background color of the graphics window is "#FF00FF". [magenta]

[
======================================================================================
==  Hyperlink table
======================================================================================
]

Table of Glulx Hyperlink Replacement Commands (continued)
	link ID  	replacement  
	1  	"GO East"  
	2  	"GO West"  
	3	"restart"

[
==  Main Story Logic of rooms
]

When play begins:
        now the right hand status line is "[link 3]reset story[end link]"

Place is a room.  "This is a Place that seems to be the center of the universe.  To the [link 1]East[end link] a wide field opens, while to the [link 2]West[end link] a narrow path winds into the Wild."

Wild West is a room, west of Place.  "Welcome to the Wild West! Rodeo starts shortly.  [link 1]Easterly narrow trail[end link] might return you to Place."

Field is a room, east of Place. "This is a large open field. [link 2]West[end link] is the central Place room."