Help with customizing javascript code: t8n.typewriter effect

Hello,

I’m using a custom version of the t8n-typewriter effect found in this forum post

Here’s the code:

/*! t8n-typewriter module for SugarCube v2 */
!function(){"use strict";function _classCallCheck(instance,Constructor){if(!(instance instanceof Constructor))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")}var _createClass=function(){function defineProperties(target,props){for(var i=0;i<props.length;i++){var descriptor=props[i];descriptor.enumerable=descriptor.enumerable||!1,descriptor.configurable=!0,"value"in descriptor&&(descriptor.writable=!0),Object.defineProperty(target,descriptor.key,descriptor)}}return function(Constructor,protoProps,staticProps){return protoProps&&defineProperties(Constructor.prototype,protoProps),staticProps&&defineProperties(Constructor,staticProps),Constructor}}(),Furl=function(){function Furl(current,append){if(_classCallCheck(this,Furl),Object.defineProperties(this,{node:{value:current},childNodes:{value:[]},value:{writable:!0,value:""},append:{writable:!0,value:!!append},abortTyping:{writable:!0,value:!1}}),this.node.nodeValue&&(this.value=this.node.nodeValue,this.node.nodeValue=""),!this.node.style||"none"!==this.node.style.display)for(var childNodes=this.node.childNodes;childNodes.length>0;)this.childNodes.push(new Furl(childNodes[0],!0)),this.node.removeChild(childNodes[0])}return _createClass(Furl,[{key:"finish",value:function(){for(this.abortTyping=!0;this.unfurl(););}},{key:"unfurl",value:function(parent){if(this.append&&(parent&&parent.appendChild(this.node),this.append=!1),this.value)return this.node.nodeValue+=this.value[0],this.value=this.value.slice(1),!0;for(var current=this.node,i=0,len=this.childNodes.length;i<len;++i)if(this.childNodes[i].unfurl(current))return!0;return!1}}],[{key:"typeout",value:function(content,typeDelay,startDelay){function typer(){if(!furled.abortTyping)var current=passage(),typerId=setInterval(function(){!furled.abortTyping&&passage()===current&&furled.unfurl()||clearInterval(typerId)},typeDelay)}var furled=new Furl(content);return startDelay?setTimeout(typer,startDelay):typer(),furled}}]),Furl}(),tagRe=/^t8n-typewriter-(\d+)(?:-(\d+))?$/;postrender["t8n-typewriter-handler"]=function(content){$(document).off("keypress.t8n-typewriter");for(var current=this.title,tags=this.tags,i=0;i<tags.length;++i){var match=tagRe.exec(tags[i]);if(null!==match){if("break"===function(){var furled=Furl.typeout(content,Number(match[1]),Number(match[2]));return $(document).on("keypress.t8n-typewriter",function(ev){32!==ev.which||ev.target!==document.body&&ev.target!==document.documentElement||!State.passages.slice(0,-1).some(function(pn){return pn===current})||(ev.preventDefault(),$(document).off("keypress.t8n-typewriter"),furled.finish())}),"break"}())break}}}}();

It works as intended, with each passage using the typewriter effect, with an optional skip using the spacebar to skip the effect.

What I’d like to add to the code is this specific feature:

• Whenever a passage that has already been visited loads, the typewriter effect shouldn’t run anymore, but show the entire passage instead.

Waiting for the typewriter effect to show the full text of a passage that has already been visited more than once is tedious and annoying. If only the code was smart enough to know that the player has already gone through that content, then it wouldn’t need to give it the typewriter effect, the passage should just simply load fully as normal.

Can this be done?
Thank you for your time.

Try the following:

/*! t8n-typewriter module for SugarCube v2 */
!function(){"use strict";function _classCallCheck(instance,Constructor){if(!(instance instanceof Constructor))throw new TypeError("Cannot call a class as a function")}var _createClass=function(){function defineProperties(target,props){for(var i=0;i<props.length;i++){var descriptor=props[i];descriptor.enumerable=descriptor.enumerable||!1,descriptor.configurable=!0,"value"in descriptor&&(descriptor.writable=!0),Object.defineProperty(target,descriptor.key,descriptor)}}return function(Constructor,protoProps,staticProps){return protoProps&&defineProperties(Constructor.prototype,protoProps),staticProps&&defineProperties(Constructor,staticProps),Constructor}}(),Furl=function(){function Furl(current,append){if(_classCallCheck(this,Furl),Object.defineProperties(this,{node:{value:current},childNodes:{value:[]},value:{writable:!0,value:""},append:{writable:!0,value:!!append},abortTyping:{writable:!0,value:!1}}),this.node.nodeValue&&(this.value=this.node.nodeValue,this.node.nodeValue=""),!this.node.style||"none"!==this.node.style.display)for(var childNodes=this.node.childNodes;childNodes.length>0;)this.childNodes.push(new Furl(childNodes[0],!0)),this.node.removeChild(childNodes[0])}return _createClass(Furl,[{key:"finish",value:function(){for(this.abortTyping=!0;this.unfurl(););}},{key:"unfurl",value:function(parent){if(this.append&&(parent&&parent.appendChild(this.node),this.append=!1),this.value)return this.node.nodeValue+=this.value[0],this.value=this.value.slice(1),!0;for(var current=this.node,i=0,len=this.childNodes.length;i<len;++i)if(this.childNodes[i].unfurl(current))return!0;return!1}}],[{key:"typeout",value:function(content,typeDelay,startDelay){function typer(){if(!furled.abortTyping)var current=passage(),typerId=setInterval(function(){!furled.abortTyping&&passage()===current&&furled.unfurl()||clearInterval(typerId)},typeDelay)}var furled=new Furl(content);return startDelay?setTimeout(typer,startDelay):typer(),furled}}]),Furl}(),tagRe=/^t8n-typewriter-(\d+)(?:-(\d+))?$/;postrender["t8n-typewriter-handler"]=function(content){$(document).off("keypress.t8n-typewriter");var current=this.title;if(!(visited(current)>1))for(var tags=this.tags,i=0;i<tags.length;++i){var match=tagRe.exec(tags[i]);if(null!==match){var _ret=function(){var furled=Furl.typeout(content,Number(match[1]),Number(match[2]));return $(document).on("keypress.t8n-typewriter",function(ev){32!==ev.which||ev.target!==document.body&&ev.target!==document.documentElement||(ev.preventDefault(),$(document).off("keypress.t8n-typewriter"),furled.finish())}),"break"}();if("break"===_ret)break}}}}();
1 Like

That worked! Thanks.

What does t8n stand for? I know t9n is “translation”, but I’ve never seen t8n.

Transition.

1 Like

Please, can someone tell me how to use this effect in a single string?