[Help] Hybrid Choices and variables

Hi, I’m trying to use AW Freyr’s Hybrid Choices to change a variable. The function is to change certain parts of some of the game text based on what choice the player makes. For example:

Setting: “adult”
Result: “Adult” is used to refer to the player. Some text in the game reference activities adults do, such as driving, drinking, or working.

Setting: “child”
Result: “Child” is used to refer to the player. Some text in the game reference activities children do, such as playing, imagining, or going to school.

This would be accomplished through a CYOA setting that occurs before the game begins. I’m not completely sure how to use variables effectively yet, so I’ve tried using “value properties”, which appear as if they can only apply to a certain thing. It seems very convoluted, and regardless it doesn’t work.

player has some text called age. player has some text called activity.

age selection is a page. "You are...".

when play begins:
	switch to cyoa at age selection.

child is a page.
	"A small and happy little kid.".
	the cdesc is "a child.". it is for age selection.
	now the age of player is "child".
	now the activity of player is "playing".

adult is a page.
	"An adult, trekking through the daily slog.".
	the cdesc is "an adult.". it is for age selection.
	now the age of player is "adult".
	now the activity of player is "working".

Can anyone help me figure out how I could get this to work? Also, what are the if/else predicates used with variables/values (so if I want something to happen only if the player is an adult, for instance, how would I code that)?