Guessing object of transitive verb

Someone helped me with this problem a long time ago, but I wasn’t able to find the thread.

[code]The lab is a room. There is a jar in the lab. The jar is an enterable container. The description of the jar is “It’s tempting to step inside.”

The player is wearing some clothing.

Stepping into it is an action applying to one visible thing.
Understand “step inside [thing]” as stepping into it.
Understand “step into [thing]” as stepping into it.

Check stepping into it:
If the noun is the jar, try entering the noun instead.

Carry out stepping into it:
say “That’s not something you can step into.”

After entering the jar:
say “You enter the jar.” [/code]

I remember that the answer has something to do with a rule for determining the object of the noun when the object is not specified. But I can’t find the syntax.

Help appreciated as always.

You can get this to work with a parser disambiguation (“does the player mean”) rule, if you eliminate the “it” from the action definition (use the it only when there are two nouns in the player’s input). This should work:

[code]The lab is a room. There is a jar in the lab. The jar is an enterable container. The description of the jar is “It’s tempting to step inside.”

The player is wearing some clothing.

Stepping into is an action applying to one visible thing.
Understand “step inside [thing]” as stepping into.
Understand “step into [thing]” as stepping into.

Check stepping into:
If the noun is the jar, try entering the noun instead.

Carry out stepping into:
say “That’s not something you can step into.”

After entering the jar:
say “You enter the jar.”

Does the player mean stepping into the jar:
it is very likely.[/code]

–Erik

I forgot that “it is very likely” was available – I was thinking that approach would cause me to have to name a million things that weren’t likely. Also, I didn’t realize when to use “it” in a created verb and when not to. That was good information.

This will work, so I’ll use it. It wasn’t what I was thinking of though, which I’m going to try to track down just for curiosity’s sake. It was something like, rule for deciding the object of stepping into when the object isn’t specified: now the object is the jar. Or something.