Graphics while playing via web

Alright, many of my players play the game via the web with the built in web interpreter(updated to the latest version on the web page I found?)

Is there a way to support graphics that can be seen if you are playing via web or go ahead and download and play locally? The ideal solution would work in both circumstances.

I think your best bet is Vorple. That’s browser-only (though you can run it locally) and also, thus far, z-code only. There is presently no solution, as far as I know, that will run graphics in both a browser and a downloaded interpreter from the same game-file.

Ah, dang, that won’t work, as this bloatedly massive game will never fit in Z code.

Any plugins that allow display of arbitrary images from the web maybe?

Ok, if I abandoned the idea of it displaying in Quixe, what would be the least painful way to slip in graphics for people playing the downloaded version?

What do you mean by least painful?

The quick-and-easy approach is to use the built-in graphics capability of I7. This is fairly crude - it’ll just insert the image at the appropriate point in the text without any formatting. If you want a more polished effect for a bit more work, though, there are various graphics extensions for Glulx.

Any suggestions on an extension, or are they all fairly equal?

They’re for different things, and it depends on what you want to do. Glimmr gives you a lot of power and starts out pretty simply.

Alright, thank you kindly.

I’m trying to use the built in graphics, and I want people to have a text(called Icon) that will have what figure to display if you look at them, but lo and behold, text is not allowed to be 'display’ed. How do I get a figure in a variable?

See 22.9: Some technicalities about figures and sounds. Figure titles aren’t, strictly speaking, text; they’re their own thing, figure name. So

A person has a figure name called Icon.

Ah ha, figure NAME, thanks!

In the sentence ‘The icon of sandra is figure of sandra_icon’ , it looks as if you intend ‘The icon of sandra is figure of sandra_icon’ to be asserting something, but that tries to set the value of the ‘icon’ property to an object - which must be wrong because this property has to be a figure name.

Relevant code:

A person has a figure name called icon.
The icon of a person is usually figure of pixel.
Figure of sandra_icon is the file “sandra.png”.
The icon of sandra is figure of sandra_icon.

Re-ordering the includes seems to have improved the situation.