Goofy fiddling around with Inform

I’ve figured that one of the better ways to learn to program with Inform is creating small scenarios (often I expand on the kernels the documentation lists as examples). Thought I’d share a couple of simple and weird ones I made. Does anyone else do these? Content warning: both of these have violent endings. Nothing too graphic.

In the first one I was fiddling around with kinds.

In the second one I created a depth value for water regions and gave it properties and conditions.

5 Likes

I would do that first example slightly differently. Use a check rule for checking if the player has a weapon while hitting. The way you wrote it now the hitting is always successful even if the player did not take the mallet.

But to get back to the original question: Yep I do that too: creating little snippets to test out mini scenarios and the weird things I want to implement.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right! It was an early experiment. I would do it differently too were I to rewrite it now.

Certainly I took a very similar approach when first learning Inform. The best way to make progress I found was to try to make something very small and fun to play around with. I’d make something, look up how to do the next bit (and maybe read around the area in the documentation when I did).

1 Like

Yep, I think that this is absolutely the best way to learn I7. I too did something similar. I covered the chapters one by one, and created something illustrating each concept. You might call me anal, but in my code I also cross-referenced each of my examples with the corresponding chapter where I found that concept, using comment brackets. I called my collage my ‘Review Game’. I also have one called ‘Inform Lab’, where I experiment and try to do new things (such as telephones, new actions not found in Inform, like ‘pouring’, etc).

2 Likes

Never really got anywhere when I tried learning Inform a few years ago, but this is how a lot of my programming classes went in college. We’d learn some new function, write a few toy programs using that function, then write something a bit more involved that combined it with stuff learned previously. Pretty sure I have some c++ code hanging out in my Programming folder that just prints some rudimentary ascii art to the screen.