GO NORTH - WordPlay 2015 Announcement / Call For Submissions

Hey all,

Just dropping in to let everybody know that the Hand Eye Society has now announced WordPlay 2015, including a call for submissions for our showcase. Our mainstage guests this year will include Emily Short, Sam Barlow, the Night in the Woods team, Christine Love, and more to be announced in the coming months.

More info here:

handeyesociety.com/event/announc … unteers-2/

After volunteering with the festival last year, and having my own game featured in it for its initial year, Jim Munroe asked me to take over for 2015 as Festival Director. I had the opportunity to meet many of you who came up to Toronto last year, and we look forward to seeing you again!

If you have any questions, please ask! Also feel free to use this thread to organize turning it into another great Canadian meetup. :slight_smile:

One thing I will mention right off the top - we really would’ve liked to align our submission deadline with IFComp, but unfortunately we have an arrangement with the venue that necessitates sending them all of our showcase titles by the first week of September. WordPlay is still a great opportunity to reach people who are just hanging out at the library on a Saturday afternoon and may not even play games at all, though, so please don’t hesitate to submit anything cool you’ve made in the past year!

Thanks for your consideration!

1 Like

Yeah you guys, you should totally think about coming! Will is killing it this year and it’s going to be great!

Hopefully some of the folks who made the trip and had fun last year will come again or recommend it to their intfic buddies!

As with last year we can put the word out for billeting if having a crashpad means the difference between coming and not coming.

I do recommend it! I’m leaning towards going back this year, but haven’t bought the plane tickets yet.

Too busy getting married. You’re holding it on my wedding day. > <

Maybe next year!

I can definitely recommend it! I’ll likely be returning this year :slight_smile:

I’ll be returning also!

Glad to hear that some of you folks are coming back! I think it’s gonna be a blast.

Hope this bump will be forgiven, but we are now in the final week of submissions, so please get your games in! Here is a reprise of a quick link:

handeyesociety.com/event/announc … unteers-2/

Thanks!

One last and final bump! SUBMISSIONS CLOSE TONIGHT AT 11:59 p.m. EST!

… And thanks to the mods for stickying this thread!

Now I have bought the plane tickets. :slight_smile:

Pleased to announce that our full program lineup for WordPlay 2015 has now been released! More details available here:

http://www.handeyesociety.com/wordplay/

Thanks to all who submitted for our Showcase. I think we’ve got a great event across the board.

If you’d like to help us spread the world about WordPlay via social media, we’ve got a tweet to be re-tweeted:

twitter.com/HandEyeSociety/stat … 0089597952

We’ve also got a Facebook event if you’d like to share there, or RSVP:

facebook.com/events/165244737153658/

We look forward to seeing you, and hopefully anyone still on the fence will now fall in the right direction. :slight_smile:

I’ll be in town on Friday. Are there plans to get together for dinner on Friday evening?

I will be in Toronto tomorrow (Thursday)! I would also be up for dinner and/or hanging out throughout the weekend (though I plan to spend some of it holed up in the hotel playing IFcomp games because I still have 16 left to judge). I’m there until Monday.

My flight doesn’t get in until after 7 on Friday, so counting border control and baggage reclaim and so on, I won’t be around for dinner that night. But I will be around Saturday evening after things wind up.

Lacking a better idea, how about we repeat last year’s plan: meet up in Chinatown (Dundas and Spadina) at 7:00 pm on Friday and pick a dinner place.

(I don’t remember where we ate last year… probably know it if I saw it…)

It was very nice meeting all the people that I met! Yay!