Glulx Size

Well, it’s not a Glulx limit but an Inform 6L32 limit–the chokepoint was the translation of the Inform 7 source into Inform 6. And unlike the limits that are hard-coded into Glulx, this can be fixed by future versions of Inform–so no one needs to worry about future versions of Inform expanding to push closer to the limit, since part of the point of future versions is to fix bugs like this.

I do hope the Flexible Survival people will be able to get this soon, though. (When Graham starts marking bugs as fixed on Mantis it’s usually a good sign.)

There are some things which could fill up a glulx file, but it would be dumb for them to do so: things like voice recognition or synthesis, a full 3D graphics system, raycast 4K graphics. But if anyone wanted to do those things (and someone will) no one in their right mind would implement them using the Glulx instruction set. They would interface the Glulx VM with existing libraries designed for those purposes.

The only “sensible” way someone could fill up a glulx file would be to port Wikipedia to it. Depending on how the text compression works out, I’d guess you could put about 20% of the English Wikipedia in a glulx file.

ranandfailed.png

I WASN’T EVEN TRYING #sadface

Usually when you see this, you’ve put the complier into an infinite loop with some sort of self-referencing thing, and you did hit the limits, but not in the way you were intending.

i can assure you it’s not an infinite loop.

It doesn’t look it has anything to do with game size either. I’m not sure what would cause an interpreter crash, actually.

Are you using Glulxe or Git as your interpreter? (Look in the Preferences of the IDE.)

it’s funny because I made it and played the .ulx and that did it but trying to play it like that inside Inform broke it.