Get Lamp: An Interactive Review

Get Lamp: An Interactive Review

I’m sure most/all of you have seen (or at least heard about) Jason Scott’s documentary “Get Lamp”. The link above is to my interactive review of the documentary. I wrote the review in Inform 6.

I am new to the Interactive Fiction Community Forum so I am not sure if people would like a walk-thru or not, but if you would one I posted a link to a full walk-thru on my blog. Also, if you would like to directly download the .z5 file, you can get it here.

As far as games go, it isn’t much of one – there’s not a whole lot to “do”, other than ask questions about the movie. It’s geared toward absolute beginners, and gives many hints to guide first-time players toward the correct commands.

This is only my second attempt to write anything using Inform 6. My first attempt, more of a exercise in learning than anything else, was a small game called A Game of Chance. It’s not very good.

I have begun work on a larger, more serious IF project over the past month or so. I’m still learning the ins-and-outs of Inform, so I was very excited to find and register for this forum. :slight_smile:

I saw this review last week. It is indeed very nifty.

Good luck with the Informing. :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks Zarf!

I decided to go with Inform primarily because of Parchment. I have seen some neat games done with both Tads and Hugo, but the ability to write a game and stick it out on the web for anyone with a browser to play caught my attention. I do like some of the multimedia features that particularly Hugo offers, but I just hate to limit my players to any specific platform.

I’m more of an old-school adventurer, cutting my adventuring teeth on TRS-80s, Apple IIs and Commodore 64s, so I’m still trying to get up to speed with the advances IF has made over the past, oh, 20 or so years. I tried my hand at writing several text adventures back in the days of 8-bit computing, but got hung up more on the programming aspects than the actual story ideas. That’s what really excites me about Inform; the language is there, and now it’s just a matter of figuring out how to tell my stories with it …